New gauge issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My oil gauge never worked before always stayed at 0, I have an aftermarket pod that works but isn't perfect. I tried swapping the gauge and it all of a sudden is pegged at 60, went back to original gauge and it is at 60 full time, my stock water temp gauge always worked but now it stays at zero, any ideas from the gauge experts? Lol I do know I don't have a sending unit on the back of the motor so I'm sure when the oil gauge stayed at 0 that is why, but now it's pegged

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Check the wires, the insulation could have gotten burned off or worn off and they are grounding out somewhere. I would just get new sending units myself for a second option.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Can you explain some of this better?

I have an aftermarket pod that works but isn't perfect.

What is an "aftermarket pod"?

I tried swapping the gauge and it all of a sudden is pegged at 60,

You tried swapping what gauge with what other gauge?

went back to original gauge and it is at 60 full time,

Do you mean the factory gauge that came in the OEM instrument cluster?

my stock water temp gauge always worked but now it stays at zero

Have you checked the GAUGE fuse? With all the work you have been doing maybe it is blown.

I don't have a sending unit on the back of the motor so I'm sure when the oil gauge stayed at 0 that is why, but now it's pegged

See the previous response (i.e. blown fuse)

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a triple gauge pod that is wired up on lower part of dash that has water temp and oil pressure and volts, it is plumbed to the side of the drivers side block but it's not in the best of shape, really cheap gauges, the oil gauge isn't hooked up in the dash and used to read zero, but now is pegged at 60, my water temp gauge worked just fine and is now at zero all the time but I have the aftermarket pod that shows the temp.

Last edited:

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Will check the fuses, didn't even think of that one, I had an oil pressure gauge from another dash but it didn't work at all but was pegged at 60 when I installed it, put the original back in and it also showed 60, before I tried swapping, it read 0

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I don't have a sending unit on the back of the motor

What are you using as a sender for the stock oil pressure gauge?

I don't mean to be a jerk Mike, but I am not sure what you are asking in this post, or even what you are looking to do.

Are you trying to revive your OEM cluster completely and eliminate the aftermarket stuff?

Do you want to have both - the OEM gauges and the pod - working?

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd like to use my stock gauges, I'm sorry I'm not being totally clear, let's see if I can remedy this!
I bought the truck and the oil gauge didn't work, I assume because there was no sending unit hooked to the back of the intake, so gauge wouldn't work, and why it stayed at 0, I changed the gauge with a spare oil gauge from a different cluster, of course it should have stayed at zero but for some reason it didn't stay there, the needle is at 60 all the time, how I don't understand since there isn't a sending unit to it, so I installed the original oil gauge into it and it registers 60 now all the time when before it stayed at 0, again becauseof now sending unit, this baffles me, I would like to use my gauge and buy a sending unit but I'm now worried that somethings messed up since after all this my water temp gauge is now at zero when before it worked just fine, I'll check the fuses when I get a chance but am baffled at how gauges that shouldn't work because the sending unit isn't there and how by just swapping gauges around it goes from staying at zero to staying at 60, I don't care to keep a gauge pod but it seems ridiculous to have two oil gauges, two water temps, and two volt gauges in the truck, if I had the cash I'd love to do all new gauges or the digital ones but I just can't spend that kind of dough! Lol hope that makes more sense! Lmao

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
My original oil pressure gauge has always been stuck at 60 and its hooked up to the original sender,,,,never tried to replace it though,,,,prob a bad sender or connection,,,If youre tryin to get the original oil pressure to work I'd start with a new sender and check all the connections,,,,obviously with no sender it aint gonna work and its prob got a bad connection somewhere causing it to be at 60

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
The reason it pegs out at sixty is because that circuit is grounded out some where, which is why it pegs out instead of reading zero

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1