New daily driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
I am going to sleep now. You guys got this.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Your doing the best you can. It's not easy
The worst part is I didn’t have to get rid of it. It was a single cab and I needed a back seat for my son. So instead of just driving the Oldsmobile in the first place, I sold it to buy a crew cab diesel, which turned out to be a disaster. So I ended up with the Oldsmobile anyway. But then again if I hadn’t sold it o wouldn’t have been able to justify the money spent on my square.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I do think I’ll spend some money on the Oldsmobile. New valve cover gaskets to fix the leak, flush the heater core and do plugs and wires. See if I can get 2k out.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I want to apologize to everyone on this site. I get drunk. I apologize. I sincerely want to help people on this site. I apologize for my drunk behavior.. haha

It's cool man. I think we've all done that. I've woke up the next morning and thought what the **** did post last night? I hope I didn't make an ass of myself and be a dick to members. But, I do like my beer. Lol

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I daily a 05 Dakota 4 door with a v6. I've gad it for 10 years now and it's been a great little truck to. Replaced 1 fuel injector,1 coil pack, water pump, front rotors and had to rebuild the transmission. I've been thinking of selling it and buying a mid 90's Chevy short bed step side. I've seen them out there with a v6 for about 3 to 4 k in nice shape. Just really ready to drive something new to me. I'd just probably put on some headers and exhaust on to give the v6 a little more balls. Lol

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
The worst part is I didn’t have to get rid of it. It was a single cab and I needed a back seat for my son. So instead of just driving the Oldsmobile in the first place, I sold it to buy a crew cab diesel, which turned out to be a disaster. So I ended up with the Oldsmobile anyway. But then again if I hadn’t sold it o wouldn’t have been able to justify the money spent on my square.
In life, we all make choices and with hindsight determine that said choices didn't work out like we intended. It's all good, man. I've got at least a dozen choices I've made to accomplish goal xyz that in hindsight didn't accomplish the intended purpose as I thought it would have.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I daily a 2010 Corolla, bought it model year close out and literally on things I have done to it are oil changes, air filter, wipers, tires, brakes, trans axle oil and it has 165K.

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ok im glad I’m not the only one that daily’s something practical. I filled it up for the first time last night from near bone dry. $25. I think I’m going to like it lol. On my way to get it a rear window wiper and a marker light bulb because that’s all I can find wrong with it. The air filter even looks new. Also going to pick up some plug wires for the Oldsmobile. Been doing valve cover gaskets for the last couple of days. Flushed a ton of junk out of the heater core. Fired it up and heard a skip and a plug wire popping. Also got bit by the little sucker lol. Going to clean it up real good and take my CD player out and I think it will be ready to sell. I kind of hate to see it go but at the same time I’m sick of keeping it running. It’s been in the family since new and has pretty much had problems from day 1.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have two friends that swear by Toyotas. One has a 1999 Solara with >300K miles and a 1984 Land Cruiser with >400K miles. He does most of the repairs himself, but they have been few and far between. And the cylinder heads have never been off the engines. Funny but the straight six in the Land Cruiser is based on a GM 235, as I recall.

My other friend has a 2007 Tundra pickup that's never needed anything but regular maintenance. It's his daily driver plus he occasionally tows a car trailer with it. His wife has a 2010 or 2011 Lexus ES sedan, which has also had zero problems.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Manliness (spelling? First time using that word.) Just ends up costing you money. We all need a commuter and something practical. If all you do is drive v8's around, your costing yourself money. I am a firm believer in owning multiple vehicles. That way you can still have fun but also be smart about it.
Wrong. Blanket statements like this are ridiculous.
How much you drive and where you live will be the real determining factor of how much the costs are for you to keep that extra commuter car around vs just driving your other car with a v8.

For what its worth I drive my v8's past an untagged 4 cyl Toyota rotting in the driveway because it IS cheaper to drive my other vehicles.

To the OP a buddy has a rav of the same generation and he is not into cars or car repair at all. It ranks high in the reliability and usefulness categories. Roll on.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size
How much you drive and where you live will be the real determining factor of how much the costs are for you to keep that extra commuter car around vs just driving your other car with a v8.

For what its worth I drive my v8's past an untagged 4 cyl Toyota rotting in the driveway because it IS cheaper to drive my other vehicles.

To the OP a buddy has a rav of the same generation and he is not into cars or car repair at all. It ranks high in the reliability and usefulness categories. Roll on.
My point was that some people will cost themselves money for pointless ideals. I see people all the time driving brand new pickups as commuters. Like you say. It depends on the mileage. I personally put on around 35k miles a year on my vehicles.

dajn37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 scottsdale
Engine Size

Next time you try to attack me, at least have some facts to back it up.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Hey man don't get butt hurt because you made a wildly blanket statment saying everyone needs a commuter car and multiple vehicles. Any car no matter if you have one or multiple is costing you money. Your point is fine and you are right, if you rack up a ton of miles something easy on gas might be the way to go in that situation. Everyone's situation is different though.
For me I just don't have to rack up as many miles as I used to years ago. Keeping your required commuter car around is a waste for many drivers. Maybe it's mileage, maybe it's a parking situation, or your location, or perhaps you think owning more than one car is ridiculous who knows man. Don't get me started on dealing with the wife when you want to bring another car home.

Since you are pissed at me for not giving you facts and a bibliography page or whatever just think about this for a minute. There's the initial cost of the vehicle, the regular wear and tear maintence, the tags/registration each year, the yearly state inspection (and any repairs associated with the inspection) then there's the yearly state personal property tax for the vehicle, don't forget insurance, oh and then the gas for that economical vehicle. Just not worth it, cheaper to buy another tank of gas.

Cars are a ******* money pit. They just take and take and take and in the end they wait for you to die so they can go and do it to someone else. I dont know why I even like 'em.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224