New build wont stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Hi, just rebuilt the 305 in my 87 Gmc Sierra. Turns over but won't fire til I spray starter fluid in, then dies after few seconds. Now I know fuel pump is working , watched it squirt fuel, but the thing I am not sure about is how old the gas is in the tank, could be 1-2 years. (long story). I took fuel line off under truck and drained what seemed to be most of the gas out, put in new gas but same thing. So could it still be old gas in there or am I missing something else? Thanks

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A common error is to stab the distributor 180* out.

Did you check to see which TDC you had when you put it in?

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Yea, pretty sure its right, it fires right up when you pit starter fluid or even a little fresh gas in intake. I was wondering about the TPS, I replaced it but just wondering if I got the arm on wrong side

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
Oh, one other thing, sounds like I have a vacuum leak somewhere but cant keeps it running long enuff to find it, would that cause it to die out?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Oh, one other thing, sounds like I have a vacuum leak somewhere but cant keeps it running long enuff to find it, would that cause it to die out?

Few things to do, if you think you have a vacume leak, plug off all external lines, just unhook them from the TB, except for the MAP. Then, check for injector pulse. you can use a test light for this, or a NOID light. If you have pulse, the ECU is triggering.

Question, where is it "squirting fuel"? out the line disconnected, or out the injectors?

Layne02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
To update a little, i retarded timing a little and got it to start by putting a little fresh gas in tb. It ran fairly well and sat at idle til I shut it off instead of stalling out.

The gas is squirting from injectors properly.

It still will not start without putting fresh gas in tb first.

Could it just be that I still have some bad gas in tank that is keeping it from firing ?
The ses light stays on but I cant get a code using paperclip jumper, just keeps flashing 12.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleepn