New brake pedal rod, where to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qaw

Reaction score
First Name
Manu
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a 1980 K10 Suburban with originally 350 gasoline engine and JB5 brakes. It has been converted to diesel when new and also brake booster has then been changed to hydroboost. Now it is returned to gasoline usage again and also the hydroboost is broken (leaking).

I want to change it to the original vacuum booster, but everywhere I look I can find vacuum boosters only with a rod that has male thread on it (example here), when instead it should have a loop to connect to the pedal. So I'm thinking I need a push rod that has a female thread in one end and a loop in the other end. I just can't find that anywhere.

So where to get that rod? Or at least does anyone know the part number?

And Yes I know it is more popular to use hydroboost, but I want original :)

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I can send you complete working vacuum booster set up from a 90 suburban in exchange for hydroboost parts

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Shipping costs might kill the deal.

qaw

Reaction score
First Name
Manu
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
True that. I can probably buy new booster and master cylinder from rockauto for the same price it costs to send the broken hydroboost abroad from Finland :)

I would gladly buy just the rod if someone has to sell one that is guaranteed to fit.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Is the rod that goes from pedal yo the booster? I have one from that same 90 suburban.

qaw

Reaction score
First Name
Manu
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Could you post a picture? I'm a little confused about this part because my local part store says it comes with the booster but I have never seen a photo of a booster having this part...

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It kind of looks like both methods are used to transmit motion from the pedal arm to the MC.

You must be registered for see images attach

If the brake system is the manual type, the push rod assembly is of one piece cast construction and has a banjo type termination at the cab end. There is a 3/8" pin that protrudes from the pedal arm. The pin passes through the loop on the pushrod at assembly and is secured with a clevis of some type.

If the brake system is power assisted, the force applied by the operator is transmitted to the MC using two push rods. The booster push rod and the MC push rod. Additionally, the BPR is a two part component. The cab end of the rod is threaded into a machined connecting link - that serves the same purpose as the cast link used in manual systems - It also is fastened to the pedal arm at the same pin.

So, the pin on the pedal moves the link, the link pushes on the booster rod and ultimately the other end of the booster rod strokes the MC piston.

It doesn't appear to be something that would be very hard to source. PN - 347456

Here it is at White Racing for $34 - and they will accept a reasonable offer. I bet you can pick it up for $25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/222197911286?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

GM Parts Giant for $26:

https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gmc-end-brk-ped-push-rod~347456.html

The input shaft of the booster even has flats for a wrench.

Last edited:

qaw

Reaction score
First Name
Manu
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wow, big thanks! This is exactly what I needed and seemed to be impossible information to find :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef