new alternator now won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattstaff

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew–
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
HEY YALL, I need some help. I recently purchased a 1984 K10 with a 305 automatic trans. I've only ever owned or worked on 2000's and Newer trucks so all this is new to me. The truck ran pretty decent when I got it but didn't have a alternator belt so it was just running off a new battery the previous own had out in. today I decided to throw a belt on it and started it up and the belt and alternator had a pretty bad squick or screech coming from it but everything was running alright so I cleaned up and let it sit and run for awhile. (Its currently 15 degrees out in Minnesota so I wanted to let it warm up). I went inside for a-little bit and when I came back out side the truck was dead and the battery was dead to so I figured that the alternator was shot and a threw in a new one from the store and charge the battery. And now the truck turns over all day long but won't fire even with starting fluid. I don't even know where to start on something like this so im looking for all the help I can get.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
HEY YALL, I need some help. I recently purchased a 1984 K10 with a 305 automatic trans. I've only ever owned or worked on 2000's and Newer trucks so all this is new to me. The truck ran pretty decent when I got it but didn't have a alternator belt so it was just running off a new battery the previous own had out in. today I decided to throw a belt on it and started it up and the belt and alternator had a pretty bad squick or screech coming from it but everything was running alright so I cleaned up and let it sit and run for awhile. (Its currently 15 degrees out in Minnesota so I wanted to let it warm up). I went inside for a-little bit and when I came back out side the truck was dead and the battery was dead to so I figured that the alternator was shot and a threw in a new one from the store and charge the battery. And now the truck turns over all day long but won't fire even with starting fluid. I don't even know where to start on something like this so im looking for all the help I can get.
Well the principles of the combustion engine on newer rigs are the same as the older ones, if you think of it like that maybe it won't seem so strange. So what does an engine need to run, fuel, spark and air right? If it won't fire on ether then it's got fuel, unless it's severely flooded fuel is not the issue, and it's got air, so it must be a spark issue right?

I assume you know how to check for spark right? Easiest way is a spark tester, but if you don't have one just pull a plug wire off a spark plug, put a spare spark plug in the end of it and ground it out. Preferably have a partner crank it over, or get it grounded out somewhere you can see it while your cranking it.

If you confirm no spark make sure the + wire is plugged into the ignition cap, assuming it is, pull the cap off the distributor and see what kind of shape the cap and rotor is in. If that all looks good most likely the coil or ignition module is bad and there is not a really good way for you to test them, so probably best to replace them both as they are likely 40 years old.

Hopefully this helps.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Wow old thread, I wanna play!

Bought it with a bad alternator that had no belt...rather than all that crap you were talkin about , I bet the alternator siezed up and threw the belt.
I bet half my total that the alternator ground wire was severed at that bracket.
He could have lost the fender ground OR the constant hot to distributor fusible link on the firewall but whatever.

Any of those seem like a better place to start looking than under the distributor cap but whatever.
Not a spark issue.
Voltage path.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe this?

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
check your fuses,when the alternator died it may have taken a fuse with it!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'm thinking when he went to get the alternator @mtnmankev s aliens stole his camshaft for their space ship.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
Let's leave my space aliens out of this for the time being, they have been rather well behaved lately, at least around here.
IF the OP is still around, I suggest major troubleshooting and testing of all things electrical on his truck.
And @RustyNail I will beg to differ on the Castrol ... I have been running GTX for MANY years and have never had an issue from the quality of oil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84