need some help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
id just find a good used motor it will save you alot of trouble in the end cause if you put all that money into it and it dont fix it your gonna be pissed

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I had a 88 F150 w/302 in it. When is was using about quart on coolant I took it to a shop and they quote $800 for head gasket and head cleaning job on it. But after they looked at it was the timing cover gasket that was the cause of it. The shop been around for 50-60 years and still in business today. Busy as hell too. You make an appointment to take your vehicle in to them and it will be 3-4 later before they get to it. Also they have a guy to drive the vehicles in and out for the mechanics cause how busy they are non stop.

Last edited:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
........http://repairpal.com/estimator/results

attachment.php

I got $802-$1408 for Winchester, va 22601. Nice link 89S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Whats the verdict on the car Mark?

Im all for making the proper repairs but that always has a load of variables. In this case, if mark says doing heads is not worth the money I would definitely try the stuff in the bottle since the car is going away anyways. Personally I never tried the bottle stuff but trust Johns word that its working as a band aid.

If I suspected my trucks head gaskets were shot I would pull out the new radiator and find a used one, bypass the new heater core and just run the bottle head gasket fixer since im planning on a motor swap in the future.

If my wife's Mustang had the same problems I would be spending the cash to fix it since its a new enough car we plan on keeping.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
After reading it over Mark, I say its up to you. 89S got lucky with the bottle stuff, but if yours is not running white smoke at start up, but after it warms up then it starts to run whitle smoke then overheats... I hate to suggest it, but that sounds like a cracked head to me. If it were a head gasket, it would do the white smoke at start up too. But, since its not doing it at start up, then as the motor warms up, the crack in the head expands, and now you have white smoke, then as it expands further, you are probably getting exhaust in yoru coolant and coolant in your exhaust. That all just seems to be a cracked head IMO, and that's a guess. If the crack is that bad, I'd say the chance of the bottle stuff working, is going to be slim in your case. If you want to keep it, my suggestion would be a patch job, either by a set of used heads and head gaskets, or a used motor. I've been wrong before, but by your description, I just thinking more than blown head gaskets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave