Narrowing down the squeaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SASKCHEYENNE75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl
Hello,

I have a 1975 Chev C10 in mostly original condition. Been slowly fixing/upgrading things.

One very annoying issue is the excessive squeaking noise when going over small bumps while driving. I've tried narrowing down the source but having problems with it. Shocks are brand new.

Could it be A arm bushings? cab to frame mounts? Bed to frame mounts?

Any suggestions of things to try based on your experience?? Thanks

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Control arm bushings more than likely

Maybe rear leaf bushings

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello,

I have a 1975 Chev C10 in mostly original condition. Been slowly fixing/upgrading things.

One very annoying issue is the excessive squeaking noise when going over small bumps while driving. I've tried narrowing down the source but having problems with it. Shocks are brand new.

Could it be A arm bushings? cab to frame mounts? Bed to frame mounts?

Any suggestions of things to try based on your experience?? Thanks

If you can’t stand on the bumper to narrow down where the squeak is coming from then maybe squirt each bushing with wd-40 or so one at a time to try and pin point it. Don’t forget about the rear springs too. Maybe try shooting some between leafs

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Do not put grease or lubricant between the leafs. Check to see if your teflon sliders are present and in good condition on the end of the leafs. Its also likely to be related to bushings if they are dry. Make sure they are well greased. If you have poly bushings you need t obe using a silicon lubricant. Rubber/kevlar bushings can just use standard chassis grease.

SASKCHEYENNE75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl
Do not put grease or lubricant between the leafs. Check to see if your teflon sliders are present and in good condition on the end of the leafs. Its also likely to be related to bushings if they are dry. Make sure they are well greased. If you have poly bushings you need t obe using a silicon lubricant. Rubber/kevlar bushings can just use standard chassis grease.
The bushings are original. They look in good shape but certainly could be dry and in need of lubricant.

SASKCHEYENNE75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl
Control arm bushings more than likely

Maybe rear leaf bushings

Can a person lubricate the control arm bushings? Obviously changing them out is the better option but maybe there is a temporary fix for now

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Can a person lubricate the control arm bushings? Obviously changing them out is the better option but maybe there is a temporary fix for now

I'm pretty sure all the front bushings have zerk fittings on them for grease on a 2wd... It's been a while since I had one though and am not 100% sure. Rear bushings do not have grease zerks, but you an get aftermarket greasable bolts/bushings for the leaf springs for about $100 for the whole set including bushings.

SASKCHEYENNE75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl
I'm pretty sure all the front bushings have zerk fittings on them for grease on a 2wd... It's been a while since I had one though and am not 100% sure. Rear bushings do not have grease zerks, but you an get aftermarket greasable bolts/bushings for the leaf springs for about $100 for the whole set including bushings.
Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody