My v-belt to serpentine belt conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A/C Lines

Good info here. I am currently putting the serpentine belt system from a 91 silverado in my 85. Was wondering if you got the A/C lines hooked up and if so what you used to get that done. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A/C Lines

Good info here. I am currently putting the serpentine belt system from a 91 silverado in my 85. Was wondering if you got the A/C lines hooked up and if so what you used to get that done. Thanks for the info.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
I'm in the middle of doing this on my brother's 1970 C10. It's been a lot of fun. Had to rerun transmission lines, fuel lines, drill and tap the block...etc. Still need to find a radiator hose that will clear his frame and the AC brackets.

His truck was full of redneck, lol.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

Probably 1988-91 Suburban/Blazer/Crewcab.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I think GMT400s have some different bends back towards the drier/accumulator.

85K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm in the middle of doing this on my brother's 1970 C10. It's been a lot of fun. Had to rerun transmission lines, fuel lines, drill and tap the block...etc. Still need to find a radiator hose that will clear his frame and the AC brackets.

His truck was full of redneck, lol.

Is the block not set up already for the serpentine brackets? I figured it would directly bolt on. I have an 85 K10 with the 305 and bought the serpentine setup off a 91 Silverado 350. i just figured it would bold up. Anyone have any info on this?

Here is a good write up on serpentine conversions. This is where I got my information.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0911_serpentine_belt_drive/index.html

Last edited:

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is the block not set up already for the serpentine brackets? I figured it would directly bolt on. I have an 85 K10 with the 305 and bought the serpentine setup off a 91 Silverado 350. i just figured it would bold up. Anyone have any info on this?

The block typically isn't the issue, it's the heads. Older heads may not have all of the bosses drilled and tapped to receive all of the bolts that the serpentine system requires for mounting.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Yeah, as mentioned above, the block usually isn't an issue. I guess my brother just had a bastard block or something, because the 2 lower bolt holes on the driver's side of the engine weren't tapped. Other than that, it has been bolt on, minus rerouting some crappy lines the PO ran for the transmission.

I should add, the instructions mention that if one of the cylinder head bolts doesn't fit (I think it's the inboard hole on the passenger head), that the system was tested without and no issues were noted, so you can probably leave it out. If you have an 85 head though, it's probably tapped.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yeah, as mentioned above, the block usually isn't an issue. I guess my brother just had a bastard block or something, because the 2 lower bolt holes on the driver's side of the engine weren't tapped. Other than that, it has been bolt on, minus rerouting some crappy lines the PO ran for the transmission.

I should add, the instructions mention that if one of the cylinder head bolts doesn't fit (I think it's the inboard hole on the passenger head), that the system was tested without and no issues were noted, so you can probably leave it out. If you have an 85 head though, it's probably tapped.

A lot of the sbc heads from the early 70's and down were not drilled for the accessories like air pumps an power steering, so they may have had one or two mounting holes, but not the standard 3 holes that the modern gen1 sbc has.
That 91 setup will fit your 305.
Keep in mind, your alternator and ac pump are going to swap sides with the serpentine.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
But you have to make a severe bend and it stresses the rubber, then the line blows.

I dont think its that bad...i will have to look at my buddy's blazer again.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
What would bewrong with using a Serpentine set up from a 96-98 Vortec?

I may do just that...if i can find the brackets, and after I get the TBI certified, and am sure I will not need an AIR pump.
Keep me from needing different ac lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboT71