My v-belt to serpentine belt conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FresnoK5er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this last spring. It's perfect setup for my high output stereo. No more belt slippage.
You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
**** yeah! :popcorn:

Was that a kit? What was the damage for it?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Dude wholly ****, that is nice.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That's a great set up. I'd only have one problem with that. But sometimes you have to sacrifice something to have the best of the rest. Kinda took a hit in the AC compressor department. Hopefully they've gotten better, but those pancake style AC compressor are not near the quality of what you took off in most cases. I do like the mounting and size of the pancake comprssor though. I hated working on cars that had that big ass compressor on them, but they worked great.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Hell yeah!

I've been wanting to do this

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think I need to start pimpin myself to the fat laides. I need some cash. This place is starting to wear on me with all my ideas I get from here, and not enough cash to do it. Now I wanna go with an LS motor and -E trans in a square. And my collection of parts is all old shcool. I'm still not giving up on my 68 Olds 455 and Variable Pitch stall TH400 though. That one is gonna happen.

FresnoK5er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't hooked up the a/c yet. I need to find the adapter fittings to the compressor and get the system charged.

Next up is to replace the broken center bolt (tie bolt) on my rear leaf spring. It broke and my springs moved some and I lost my pinion angle shim on the drivers side. I wondered why when I let off the gas my truck got squirrely, lol (not really funny though). I am also adding some traction bars that won't limit the rear suspension up/down travel, at least not that much. Waiting on parts right now.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I haven't hooked up the a/c yet. I need to find the adapter fittings to the compressor and get the system charged.

Next up is to replace the broken center bolt (tie bolt) on my rear leaf spring. It broke and my springs moved some and I lost my pinion angle shim on the drivers side. I wondered why when I let off the gas my truck got squirrely, lol (not really funny though). I am also adding some traction bars that won't limit the rear suspension up/down travel, at least not that much. Waiting on parts right now.
Can't wait to see those running bars mounted what she looks like. :High 5:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Cool. No hurry for the AC in Cali anyway. I can tolerate Cali heat cuz its drier. Its the freakin humidity here that after 80, I need AC. I can go with 110 in AZ or Cali wo AC no problem with a window down.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Did you buy that as a kit or did you have to source all the parts individualy? What did it set you back if I may ask? I would love to go that route, just without AC.

FresnoK5er

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you buy that as a kit or did you have to source all the parts individualy? What did it set you back if I may ask? I would love to go that route, just without AC.

It was about 850.00 for the kit. I purchased it through Summit. Of course the kit without a/c will be less expensive though. It would be a pain to find everything new yourself but you would probably save some $$. I wouldn't purchase anything but brackets and such from a wrecking yard. Not worth putting worn out parts on the front of your engine.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12497698/

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
It was about 850.00 for the kit. I purchased it through Summit. Of course the kit without a/c will be less expensive though. It would be a pain to find everything new yourself but you would probably save some $$. I wouldn't purchase anything but brackets and such from a wrecking yard. Not worth putting worn out parts on the front of your engine.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12497698/

What would bewrong with using a Serpentine set up from a 96-98 Vortec?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Did the power steering pump already mounted to the bracket? Was there a bolt behind the pump to mount the bracket, like this?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,119
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara