My truck had a bonfire inside the cab last night

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm sorry to hear that, that's really sad. Looks like the seat was pretty nice too, bummer.
Could've been way worse tho. Look at this truck I found at the junkyard...
You must be registered for see images attach
Texas chili fest.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So long story short, last night something in my jacket pocket decided to spontaneously combust and Burnt up the the inside of my truck. Luckily really only the bench is damaged but not sure what to do? Are the whole benches actually only 250? how much do y'all think it would cost for installation at a garage? anyone in nw Georgia that would sell an extra for less than 200? Side note, it smells like burnt popcorn when these vinyl seats burn. I hate it lmao
ts
How far are you from Jonesboro or Austell? There's a couple around there for $100-200.

Tubby Tubbs

Reaction score
First Name
Bjorn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm sorry to hear that, that's really sad. Looks like the seat was pretty nice too, bummer.
Could've been way worse tho. Look at this truck I found at the junkyard...
That hurts to look at omg

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Only vehicle I’ve seen that started itself on fire was a squarebody.
Dads 85 C10 caught fire in the middle of the night, burned the truck to the ground along with moms new car, sisters car, our entire shop and about 400 Christmas wreaths we had just received for the Boy Scouts fundraiser.
We were still lucky, as it was an attached garage and it didn’t spread to the house (barely), amazingly, no smoke smell in the house to speak of and I was away at school so my 70 Impala was not present at the bbq!
No idea what caught it on fire but it was outside in front of the shop and burned through the garage door. But it definitely started under the hood of the truck according to our neighbors who first noticed it at 3am.

Tubby Tubbs

Reaction score
First Name
Bjorn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So I figured out what caused the fire… it was linseed oil. Apparently it spontaneously combusts while it dries it if it’s in a crumpled up rag.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
So long story short, last night something in my jacket pocket decided to spontaneously combust and Burnt up the the inside of my truck. Luckily really only the bench is damaged but not sure what to do? Are the whole benches actually only 250? how much do y'all think it would cost for installation at a garage? anyone in nw Georgia that would sell an extra for less than 200? Side note, it smells like burnt popcorn when these vinyl seats burn. I hate it lmao
ts
I just have two questions, what does the headliner/ceiling look like? If the fire didn't burn hot enough to torch the inside of the cab or melt the springs on the seat, why can't you have the existing seat recovered? You would of course have to replace the foam to eliminate the burnt smell. I would guess by the look of the damage that it smoldered with little to no flame. Must have been a bit confused to open the door to that adventure, especially if you don't burn nicotine sticks.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I really appreciate that, but yeah I always see square bodies driving around my town so hopefully it shouldn't be too hard, a buddy of mine apparently knows someone here who might be willing to sell one and then I also think I found one at a local scrap yard but I'm not sure. It's listed as a 1988 Chevy 1500 front seat assembly
Dude!
I would rush to check out that 88 "assembly". Might be the bomb and have a console!

*edit

Wtf? Linseed oil? Heard of that before.Cleaning leather?

CAN CAUSE SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION. Boiled Linseed Oil generates heat as it dries, which can cause the spontaneous combustion of materials contacted by this product. Oily rags, waste, and other oily materials contacted by Boiled Linseed Oil can cause spontaneous combustion fires if not handled properly.”

That seems like it could be really handy...i'm gonna look for cool youtube videos and try to come up with cool ideas. Wonder how much it costs? They got that stuff at walmart a reckon?

Omg $7.50
I neeeeed to play with this. Thanks!
:wave:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-12-30-15-32-21.png
    Screenshot_2021-12-30-15-32-21.png
    170.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Dude!
I would rush to check out that 88 "assembly". Might be the bomb and have a console!

*edit

CAN CAUSE SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION. Boiled Linseed Oil generates heat as it dries, which can cause the spontaneous combustion of materials contacted by this product. Oily rags, waste, and other oily materials contacted by Boiled Linseed Oil can cause spontaneous combustion fires if not handled properly.”

That seems like it could be really handy...i'm gonna look for cool youtube videos and try to come up with cool ideas. Wonder how much it costs? They got that stuff at walmart a reckon?

Omg $7.50
Do they make an unboiled version that won't self combust? Why do they boil it? I remember a shop teacher in middle school teaching us about the dangers of oily rags and about keeping them in a metal can so they don't combust. Is Linseed oil the only one we have to be careful with?

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
LoL!!I got no idea...:nono: hilarious!
Linseed oil is aka flaxseed oil?
Haha I dont know man I forgot I had to work. I'll look it up some tonight maybe.
Here we go
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I figured out what caused the fire… it was linseed oil. Apparently it spontaneously combusts while it dries it if it’s in a crumpled up rag.
Yep you can't leave a boiled linseed oil soak rag balled up, it will spontaneously combust!! People who show it on you tube about shining up your junk almost never mention it!. Really dangerous stuff. Throw that rag outside, soak it in water and leave it or just set it on fire in a safe spot when done.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dude!

*edit

Omg $7.50
As a volunteer fire fighter responded to a house fire where a pile of rags from a remodel combusted and smoked up the house they were lucky no real damage was done and we got there in time to save everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL