My Truck (and wife) story - and restoration...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnbiker727

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4BBL
My Truck (and wife) story - and restoration project

I worked for an agency that gave me $100 a year to buy steel toed boots. So in June 2012 (before the fiscal year ended) I went to buy the boots and the girl at the checkout was a young lady my age. She didn't pay much attention to me, but I was trying to be nice.

Pulled out of the parking lot and in the next driveway I saw the truck for sale that I knew I had to have. I pulled in and took some pictures and called the number and left a message. Then I called it back later and got the owner on the phone. He bought it brand new from a local dealer back in '76 and had restored it about 15 years ago. He agreed to let me test drive it, so I went back a couple days later and drove the truck. He said he had some other offers below his asking price. My parents went down a couple days later and drove it, which sold them on the truck. They said there was a young girl there about my age.

After talking it over with my parents, I decided to buy it at his price. Went to pick up the truck and his daughter was there with 20 baby turkeys out in the yard. I also found out she had beef cows and donkeys and goats and chickens. I come from a farm and am the 6th generation to grow up on it, so I naturally was looking for someone like minded. After officially transferring the title, her mom mentioned that I should swing by and take her daughter out for a date. Couple weeks later was the county fair, so I stopped by and asked her to go with me. She agreed to go and we had a good time together.

She told me she never liked the truck and was happy to see it go... turns out she was also the girl that I bought my boots from the day I saw the truck for the first time.

Well folks it's a little over a year and 6 months later, and we've been blissfully married for 6 months now. Oh, and she let me keep the truck!

When her dad restored it he replaced all four fenders, new paint and new seat upholstery, windshield and back window seals, and the motor with a new stock 350.

When I got it I replaced the window seals in each door, had the driver side window put back on track, repainted the inner door panels, had a stainless steel tailgate protector put on so the velcro from the old school custom made vinyl bed cover would line up with the tailgate. Got the white lettering put on and repainted where the chains had beat up the tailgate. All that work was completed and I picked it up the morning of our wedding.

We took the truck on our honeymoon and got a lot of looks as we went down the road.

Enjoy!

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Cool story and nice pics:waytogo:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's a beautiful truck and a great story to go along with it. You better never get rid of it, because not many people have that kind of history with a truck.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That is a great story. I missed your intro posts, welcome aboard fellow PA'r.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Very cool... I always like hearing stories like this. :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nice truck!

And dammit, you are making me change my mind again, lol. I always wanted my truck to be orange, but it is currently black and I decided I would just stick with that because I liked it. But now I want it orange again.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The truck matches her hair colour.

(matches mine too).

I love it!

tomh2012

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Great story! Anyone can go out and buy stuff. The stuff that turns into treasures are the things that have history behind them. You have something there that could one day become a priceless part of your family. Or to some just another orange truck....

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Must've been something wrong with her that you haven't found yet. I mean, normally people trade good livestock for a bride, yours got thrown in for free with truck. :lol:

Congrats man, looks like both were a good score. The fact she let you keep it, even though she doesn't like it confirms that.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Congrats on the hitching.. Nice truck.. Watch out for the fire from your red headed gal.. i hope and pray she is different then my red headed ex...

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
Gotta like the orange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnbiker727

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4BBL
Thanks folks. They're both beautiful, and I couldn't be happier.

Now I can't wait until winter passes so I can dust it off and get it back on the road.

First I need to figure out where it's leaking transmission fluid from. Went to start it up awhile back and found a puddle of red fluid on the garage floor. I already had the rear transmission seal replaced because I thought that's where the leak was, but apparently that wasn't it.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Thanks folks. They're both beautiful, and I couldn't be happier.

Now I can't wait until winter passes so I can dust it off and get it back on the road.

First I need to figure out where it's leaking transmission fluid from. Went to start it up awhile back and found a puddle of red fluid on the garage floor. I already had the rear transmission seal replaced because I thought that's where the leak was, but apparently that wasn't it.

Check the transmission yoke. There is a little weep hole that likes to lose the plug, and it will drip trans fluid. You can pull the driveshaft and fill the hole with RTV and let it cure overnight to fix it.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Check the transmission yoke. There is a little weep hole that likes to lose the plug, and it will drip trans fluid. You can pull the driveshaft and fill the hole with RTV and let it cure overnight to fix it.

Good to know..Sierra has one hell of a leak back there. Seal has been replaced.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
I'm particularly fond of that shade of Orange, reminds me of an Allis Chalmers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes