my new sound system (still in progress)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Does the seat go all the way back with that box?

I wrote in the original post I have to move it up one notch. I could put it back all the way but that might damage the subs. I still have plenty of room

sierra83

Reaction score
First Name
decarlo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
what size speakers are those in your dash

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
how does it sound?

i am extremely pleased with the sound quality. the only thing id like is deeper bass (not much i can do there in a single cab truck) and better left to right balance. i hear mostly the left speakers as none of the speakers are facing the opposite side of the truck. when i get around to it im going to make a custom fiderglas dash so that the speakers can be angled to the opposite sides and that should fix it

jasm158

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
right now the subs are running off of the rear outputs of the head unit and are surprisingly loud for no amp. so it is not necessary

there is a high potential damaging your subs running them with no cross over..subs are not designed to push out "voice hertz"..only low bass..also running the subs off your head unit can cause damage to head unit also..the subs demand too much "power"...IMO....likey the box though..nice choice of subs too.. i would go with a kicker amp as well..trouble free

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
right now the subs are running off of the rear outputs of the head unit and are surprisingly loud for no amp. so it is not necessary

there is a high potential damaging your subs running them with no cross over..subs are not designed to push out "voice hertz"..only low bass..also running the subs off your head unit can cause damage to head unit also..the subs demand too much "power"...IMO....likey the box though..nice choice of subs too.. i would go with a kicker amp as well..trouble free

the subs absolutely cannot be damaged by higher frequencies, it is true though that tweeters are damaged by low frequencies. and as for the head unit it cannot be damaged either by the subs. the subs cant suck power from the head unit. they just use what they are given.

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
the way he has it wont damage it, but it wont sound good. an amp would improve the bass, as far as your whole set up your doing literally everything i had planned, how much has it cost you so far?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would like to do a little better sound system in mine but I would have to do all marine-grade components. Another thing that keeps me from spending any money on the truck is they're easy to break into. If I had an alarm system I would feel better about it.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
the way he has it wont damage it, but it wont sound good. an amp would improve the bass, as far as your whole set up your doing literally everything i had planned, how much has it cost you so far?

it sounded fine, just hard to get the bass real loud. but now im runnin a 250 watt amp and its a good bit louder.

the head unit was 110, but i would get a different one knowing what i know now. its a cheapo and better ones come cheaper anyway
the front speakers were 40
the rears were 75
the subs with the enclosure were 225
the amp was 40 but i got that for a steal off a friend

wheelerboy12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would like to do a little better sound system in mine but I would have to do all marine-grade components. Another thing that keeps me from spending any money on the truck is they're easy to break into. If I had an alarm system I would feel better about it.

i know how you feel... my truck starts and runs 100% without the key, and i forgot to lock the driver side door the first night i got it home, it was broken into around 3 am and it could have been gone had the tried to start it. i want to run doorless in the summers but im afraid to because of that. i could replace the ignition but i have no idea how much tht would be, or how to do it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You just need 1 special tool to compress the steering lock spring so you can get the snapring out. I think it's less than $20 at any parts store. And last time I looked an ignition switch was only about $15. Other than that you'll need a Torx head driver to remove the retaining bolt for the ignition switch, everything else is standard tools. May want to take the + off the battery so your horn dont go nuts lol.

syzo420

Reaction score
First Name
sy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
how is it without that sound mat dyno mat or w/e no raddle?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
how is it without that sound mat dyno mat or w/e no raddle?

hmmm? i have had the sound deadener in the entire time. but sound deadener doesnt stop rattles or squeaks it supresses resonances and road/ exterior noise

sonicbluezx3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sound deadener stops rattles and squeaks if you put it on whatever is rattling/squeaking...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus