my 88 k1500, tons of pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
He tricked me, I saw the subscription come across with the first line in my email and thought he got rid of it lol.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm really slackin' got some progress done on the house and still no pics, no pics of the garage at all except for the rear end I got from Andy layin on the ground lol, and now truck in the garage nice and comfy but no pics. She may get broke out here real soon for another lowes run, moe rock, mud, insulation etc.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not much of an update but she's sitting outside now(in laws) with a load of wood in the back for our good buddy up the road to burn. Gonna unload in the a.m., then load up a side by side fridge and some bags of pop cans for scrap tomorrow. Then hide her away in the garage again lol.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
no pics but she's now parked in my garage, and torn completely down to short block, going to install a big cam, the ported and polished 305 heads, and convert it to carb. Getting ready to order some valve springs to match the cam I got.

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
Did you ever finish the paint on this truck? Are you going to remove all of your chrome to paint?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nope haven't painted it and only going to remove the fender trim and bolt on stuff, rock er trim I'll leave, mask and paint around, no rust under it.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
eh this thing is on hold again, gotta get a fpr. I unhooked the fp fuse and relay first thing, running a block mounted pump, runs too much psi for the eddy carb and floods it out.

it ran once uncapped and I could hear the cam loping as it should(big cam in it now) then it just flooed out and wouldn't idle again, tried another carb same thing.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea but I can get one for $24.99 at autozone or advance made by spectre part no. 2517, and save the $10 handling fee BS from summit or jegs. It even comes with fittings, the summit ones would need 2 nipple fittings and a plug since it says 2 outlet ports and I only need one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
yea but I can get one for $24.99 at autozone or advance made by spectre part no. 2517, and save the $10 handling fee BS from summit or jegs. It even comes with fittings, the summit ones would need 2 nipple fittings and a plug since it says 2 outlet ports and I only need one.

That's the plane then. I'd rock with it. :waytogo:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
lol maybe, they got alot of bad reviews on them type regs. So we'll see what happens. Right now I'm low on cash, so it's on hold for a bit.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well she's down for a good while now.

lifter got wiped off big time.

and before anyone starts, here's the deal,

old used cam, and my old lifters I used when I rebuilt the engine they were new, now they are like 4 or 5 years old and were fine, just used them in the engine with the comp cam I got, or had for a long time, it's a big cam too. So yes I cheaped out and it failed. I had them lubed exctremely well with lucas assembly lube, made for cams and lifters and of course bearings. I adjusted the valves the way books call for it, do so many intake and so many exhaust with the engine at no. 1 tdc, and then rotate one turn of the crank and do the rest, adjusted down to any resistance is felt, and they call for 3/4 turn or more, I use only 1q/2 turn past any resistance.

It was number 4 cyl. intake that wiped off bad.

I was going to do a running valve adjustment and discovered it wasn't moving as much as the others. I had changed oil right before this crap too.

So now I'm worried about the bearings, if they got any shavings in them or if it would ruin them later on if I just reuse them/leave them alone. I drained the new oil out and of course it's shiny/ sparkles all in it straight out of th epan, not out of the filter.

So I'm at a real loss now, no cash, spent it all trying to get this thing going to start with, shoulda left the stock cam with the stock lifters and been done.

I'm just lost now, not sure whether or not to rebuild the entire thing, new rings, bearings, oil pan and gaskets, then stock cam and new lifters, or new cam and lifters.

or just put in a new cam and lifters now, only, which is a concern, I bought springs to match the comp 292h cam I had. So now those would need changed back stock, or I have to buy a cam to work with them.

I know I know it's a huge cam and too big for me.

I am considering a speed pro, which is 230/230 dur. and 480 lift and reuse those springs. The springs are good for .550 lift. They are elgin springs from northern.

OR if I buy some stock lifters and reinstall my old stock cam, I'd have to change back to stock springs, thus removing the heads again, and need new gaskets for them, since I don't see good and removing those keepers is a real PITA with the heads on IMO.

sooo.... I don't know.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So the cam and lifters were both used, but they had not been used together?

Need to at least drop the pan and clean out all the sludge that's probably there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohh man !!! Expensive lesson. I'm assuming you didn't actually wipe just the lifter, you wiped the lobe off the cam too.

FYI anyone, NEVER EVER, Taylor Swift, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use USED Lifters on any cam. NEVER !!! You can use NEW Lifters on a Used cam, you can use NEW lifters on a NEW cam, but NEVER use USED lifters on any cam unless it's the same used cam, and the lifters are going back on the same lobe they came off of. You can't even mix the lobes if it's the same cam. Once a lifter is married to a lobe, it's for the life of the lifter to that one and only lobe.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
we've used old used lifters on other cams before and nothing happened, which is what happened to the lifters that matched the comp 292 cam, we used em years ago in the truck in my sig with another cam.

As for cam lobe, not sure haven't pulled it, but I'd be willing to bet the cam got wiped too.

As for them both being used yep cam was old used comp 292, and the lifters were used stockers from the cam kit I bought when I rebuilt the 88 350 in my 88.

I think the plan may be to reuse the old stock flat tappet 88 cam, get new stock lifters, change back to stock valve springs, and reassemble and drive it.

That woul dbe the cheapest way for me, only be ou tmore new oil, filter, lifters, and intake gaskets, I already have tons of timing chain and water pump gaskets, and another dist., also have some fuel pump and plate gakets too. I may need head gaskets, depends on if I can remove the springs and swap em with the heads still on and not loose anything lol. I have th eoverhead tool with heads still on the motor and I know the air trick or rope trick to hold the valves in place with that cylinder up in it's tdc spot.

So time to run home and tear more down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skymagu