Motor Mounts WTF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottydale79

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20 scottsdale 4x4
Engine Size
Was sb400 now bb454
It came the time yesterday to pull the old wore out SB out of my 3/4 and drop the big block in. I searched all over town for motor mounts and ended up ordering some from auto zone same day. Both sides same part number. put the new mounts on the motor and went to dropping it in. Everything went smooth lowered it in, torque converter in, bolted up the bell housing to the block easily. Thinking i was almost ready to hear this thing run i reached up to stick the bolts through the mounts and im like 1'' off. I instantly threw my wrench and went home pissed. :) Now that im cooled off today i figured i would take a look at them again and see what i can do. i have crossed the part number that auto zone sold me and it says they are correct. Maybe i am the ******* and havent done something right, keep in mind this is the first time ever doing heart surgery on a vehicle so im learning. If anybody has any pointers i would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Would be easier to tell you if you had pictures. Which way are you off? Is the engine up to high or did one side line up and the other didn't?

scottydale79

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20 scottsdale 4x4
Engine Size
Was sb400 now bb454
It ended up being wrong part in the right box. Reminds me not to buy from Mexico if I can help it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It ended up being wrong part in the right box. Reminds me not to buy from Mexico if I can help it.

Well at least ya got it figured out. :High 5:

Damn parts stores are a shooting gallery anymore. :shitsweak:

Last edited by a moderator:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Autozone is the worst culprit!!!!!

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
A lot of stores are having that problem, parts are made in other counties and they don't have good quality control.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
SO it was the mount itself, and it didn't require moving the motor pads that bolt to the frame of the truck???

I've though of going with some solid mounts. I likely will in the street/strip truck, but solid mounts transfer alot of vibration to the chassis and steering column. Kinda why some guys will go with the OEM rubber type, but chain the motor down with just a little slack so they don't tear up the OEM rubber mounts. Looks tacky, but it's much more comfy in the vehicle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
SO it was the mount itself, and it didn't require moving the motor pads that bolt to the frame of the truck???

I've though of going with some solid mounts. I likely will in the street/strip truck, but solid mounts transfer alot of vibration to the chassis and steering column. Kinda why some guys will go with the OEM rubber type, but chain the motor down with just a little slack so they don't tear up the OEM rubber mounts. Looks tacky, but it's much more comfy in the vehicle.

Tailgate cables work great in place of ugly chains :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Kinda why some guys will go with the OEM rubber type, but chain the motor down with just a little slack so they don't tear up the OEM rubber mounts. Looks tacky, but it's much more comfy in the vehicle.

Tailgate cables work great in place of ugly chains :)

I aint' never heard of that. :wtf:

Maybe I should do that to mine, my driver's side mount is wiped. :shitsweak:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I aint' never heard of that. :wtf:

Maybe I should do that to mine, my driver's side mount is wiped. :shitsweak:

If you ever get a truck with some REAL Horsepower you will HEAR of it. I've broke brand spankin new rubber mounts in one day before. Granted it was a cheap ass Trak Auto brand part but I broke it in just a couple hours. Chaining it down didn't even work after that. Only time chain (or cable, would be a good better looking idea) works is on a good mount and chain it or cable it to hold it in place from tearing it apart.

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205

brother i work at autozone and i can't tell you how many times that has happened. hell i have bought parts there and they ended up being the wrong part in the right box. It would be very useful if i needed a box and not a part. Just wait till you get a part that has been used then you take it back and it turns out that part was the only one with in a hundred mile radios then you have to wait a ******* week for it.

scottydale79

Reaction score
First Name
Jordan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 20 scottsdale 4x4
Engine Size
Was sb400 now bb454
Yeah it was the mount it's self. I took it back an bought some for a 350 and they work great. I hope I have problems breaking motor mounts with so much torque but I highly doubt I have that issue for a while. Haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000