Molded Dash Pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark L

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 & 1986
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250ci Inline 6 Baby! & Neck Snapping 305!
Guys what is the best route to take on purchasing a new molded dash pad, like the one that came from the factory? I have seen them any where from $129 all the way $299 so that make me think there are different ones out there. Any one changed theres out with a good replacement?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The OEM ones are about $500 - 600.

I have used aftermarket replacements before with good results. Maybe $250. My only advice is to shop around and try to get one painted in the color you want - IOW save yourself the hassle of painting.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
You looked at just the molded cover? Got one one mine, looks good. Been on awhile, showign a little wear, nothing I cant fix when I pull it out sometime this winter.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
How does one remove the molded part of the dash... I've looked in the repair books and on you tube... haven't found anything on it... any instructions would be appreciated

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You have to pull the gauge bezel and then there are four screws that run across the bottom front of it. After those are out you pull up and out. Almost the easiest thing to take out of the truck.

caliphatman8123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 suburban
Engine Size
tbi 350
Awesome... sounds easy enough... may try it cause the K5's is pretty bad... lol

BigRuss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reece
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe C10
Engine Size
305 5.0L
Possibly easier than changing
out a wheel...and a lot cleaner
And boom she dropped the ball and he jumped in front of the bus

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
I just put one in from Classic Industries. Waited until I got a sale e-mail from them. The fit was good the only real difference was the metal carcass that the foam is attached to was a lot lighter gauge than the OEM. No issue other than you have to be carefull handling it so it doesn't bend. Paid about $170 plus $50 to ship.

DREAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dreamer
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
There are a few companies that sell em cheaper, but instead of a metal skeleton it's plastic, so it usually has an ugly wave in it somewhere. Option 2 is to find a decent OEM one from the junkyard that has a good metal skeleton and have it reupholstered.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
There are a few companies that sell em cheaper, but instead of a metal skeleton it's plastic, so it usually has an ugly wave in it somewhere. Option 2 is to find a decent OEM one from the junkyard that has a good metal skeleton and have it reupholstered.

I've thought about doing that with my stock one... Just makes me nervous to tear it down... :help:

DREAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dreamer
Truck Year
Truck Model
High Sierra
Engine Size
The metal backbone is what makes it. Save quite a few dollars buying a cheaper one and you'll wish you hadn't.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
Just how difficult is it to have these reupholstered? I had made up my mind that I was going to buy a repro dash pad but they are ridiculously priced. My truck presently has no dash pad since I removed it due to not being able to stand the sight of it anymore (and other dash-related work). The trim shop lady told me that she does not re-cover dash pads, but perhaps she meant with original foam padding. I wonder if she could just stretch black vinyl over it and use (very short) self-tapping screws to attach it to the bottom. Is this difficult for someone like her to do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade