Minor problem became large with McGaughy spindle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MHarvey

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I ran into a similar problem when buying new brake parts for an 86 C10. It confounded the guys at two parts stores. Turns out the truck had light duty brakes, that weren't very common.

The light duty spindles were different, as were the rotors and one of the wheel bearings (inner, I think). However, I thought calipers & pads were the same, but that was 20 years ago!

Another note: Looks like the parts vendors described the rotors as being for trucks with either 2" or 2-3/4" rear brake shoes. To further complicate things, brake systems are defined as standard 2", heavy duty 2", and 2-3/4".

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Thats crazy in regards to all of the different brake calipers that gm used on the squares. Btw...don't even consider the CPP disc brakes as an option - upgrade. They absolutely suck. A close friend and fellow truck builder and I installed a set on the front of his square....horrible fitment, horrible brake fade and sub-par materials too. We ended up swapping them out for a pair of Baer. We didn't have any fitment issues with the Bear rotors and calipers using his drop spindles. Guess we got lucky. Im not sure what drop spindles he has installed, but certain that they aren't Mc no fittys spindles. Makes me curious as to what oem caliper I have on my square. I plan on upgrading my brakes soon to a larger diameter rotor setup. The research that I have done leads me to believe that I have the 2" standard calipers. Looking at my receipts...I have belltech spindles. My calipers bolted right up without any alignment issues.

Last edited:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Thanks for the advice JKnight. I'm hoping to get this thing at least fired up in the next couple of weeks, then it will be time to save up for paint. Sometime during that process, before its road worthy again, I'll be changing spindles to eliminate the problem. It just sucks that I bought what I thought was a reputable company's product , just to have it be junk and a waste of money.

Yeah man, sorry to hear about this. I emailed Seth, who I think is the main guy there and I haven't heard anything back. Not a sorry, or thanks for bringing the issue to their attention, nothing. I

This along with the additional problems that I had with my hangers that came in the kit, tells me that they really don't give a rats ass about their customers. I won't ever purchase anything from them again, and will tell everyone that I know the same thing.

DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM MCGAUGHYS SUSPENSION!!!!

MHarvey

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I understand you on the contact stuff. I was in touch with them numerous times when I found the problem, and they seemed completely unwilling to do anything about it. Even when the tech there told me that I was doing something wrong, and I commented that the other spindle had went on fine, they offered no solution. I have come to the conclusion that they don't care, so they'll never get another penny from me.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I have some CPP 3/4 ton spindles and calipers and etc. I hope it all works out well, but now I'm concerned I may encounter some fitment issues. On the plus side I can check fitment before installing on the truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man