Mechanical fuel pumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
And the springs. OMG, was it this set or that one or did I swap the two into separate groups?

The originals are usually so rusty it's not difficult to tell them from the new ones.
If you get a decent set the spring pairs are different bright colors so you can tell em apart.

I always use a nasty beat up commercial baking sheet with the tall edges and a stained beat up terrycloth dish towel so the springs, screws, etc don't make a break for it.

DavesJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Put in a new msd hei distributor and new wires. Problem is still there :(
I slammed the throttle wide open it died and flames where burning out of the carb.. i also noticed that when i disconnected the vacuum advance to set timing i didn't notice a difference in the way it idled.

asltrfl

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500
Engine Size
Did you install your own cam, timing chain and gear set? Might be off if its spitting flames. Slow down, double check TDC with the spark plug out and timing marks on balancer. Double check plug wires for damage or cross firing. Rotor and cap installed correctly? Dont worry, you'll get it right. Walk away and dont worry about it for a while, you will be able to think better when you come back.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did you install your own cam, timing chain and gear set? Might be off if its spitting flames. Slow down, double check TDC with the spark plug out and timing marks on balancer. Double check plug wires for damage or cross firing. Rotor and cap installed correctly? Dont worry, you'll get it right. Walk away and dont worry about it for a while, you will be able to think better when you come back.
This and if you're timing with a light, make sure your balancer hasn't spun. There's at least 2 of us, me being one of them, had balancers that spun and the timing marks were off.

DavesJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Its a brand new gm 350 crate engine, new balancer. Im going to try some new plugs, check timing again.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
No no no no no.

Something ain't right here and we're not getting all the info.

When you got the crate engine, what did you change or add to it after you opened the crate?
You had to go and put in a msd and you didn't know what the problem was?
Like EVERYONE else has said from the get-go, you've got a timing problem.

DavesJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
No no no no no.

Something ain't right here and we're not getting all the info.

When you got the crate engine, what did you change or add to it after you opened the crate?
You had to go and put in a msd and you didn't know what the problem was?
Like EVERYONE else has said from the get-go, you've got a timing problem.
Ok. I bought a gm 350 long block crate engine. All the accessories came off the old engine. Starter, intake, carb, fuel pump, hei, headers, alternator, power steering pump, fan, etc... i did nothing to the engine out of the crate except bolt on all the accessories. Had carb rebuilt and tuned. New msd hei. New msd wires. Timing is set at factory 8° btc @ 550 rpm like my 79 c10. I can get to wot at a steady pace no issues. But i cant mash the gas it boggs, stumbles, and dies. Sometimes it catches up and wont die id i let off quick enough... i think its timing to but unless gm ****** the install of the timing gear and chain i dont know wtf is going on :)

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That's better.

Sounds like you're not getting any advance. From where are you getting the vacuum for the distributor?
OR, there may be a vacuum leak somewhere. A big 'un! Doubtful, but possible.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Also, look down the carb (with the engine off) and open the throttle quickly. You should see two solid streams of fuel from the accelerator pump. If your "rebuilt and tuned" carb has an accelerator pump problem it will bog and stall on acceleration.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This is certainly a strange problem. It really does at quick first guess sound like an accelerator pump issue at the carb. I wish someone around or near you had a different carb to bolt on just for process of elimination. If you bolted on a KNOWN good carb off of another good running truck, and it cured the problem, then we KNOW it's the carb issue. If it doesn't cure the issue, then we KNOW it's got to be in the ignition system.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Also, look down the carb (with the engine off) and open the throttle quickly. You should see two solid streams of fuel from the accelerator pump. If your "rebuilt and tuned" carb has an accelerator pump problem it will bog and stall on acceleration.
Yeah, see you're thinking and responded while I was typing my response. It does sound like an accelerator pump issue.

DavesJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Well im going to buy the msd atomic efi master kit. And get rid of the carbs!

DavesJimmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I was thinking msd atomic efi, or holly, or fitech. Does anyone run any of these and have opinions? They all seem similar but the msd looks like it installs a little easier??

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Mine isn’t complete yet, but I did a fair amount of research before going efi and settled on the Holley. I also found when researching, that using an in tank pump is the way to go. It’s more reliable, simpler, and only a couple more hours of work. In my case, it was less work. However, my truck is in 100 pieces, so access is easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pbcasterlin