Lug nut replacements

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
I was removing a front tire to check the brake pads and had a hard time getting a few of the lug nuts off. They have a stainless steel cover over them that look nice but the lug wrench didn't seem to fit on them all the way. I ended up ruining the cover on a few of them. I'm glad I was taking the tire off at home and not on the road somewhere. I was thinking of replacing all of them with chrome ones. I prefer the stainless steel ones because the don't rust. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.
Thanks,
Joe

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If the thin stainless cover is missing from a lug nut, use an 18mm socket rather than a 3/4 or 19mm.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
If the thin stainless cover is missing from a lug nut, use an 18mm socket rather than a 3/4 or 19mm.

Thanks for the information, I may just stay with the stainless ones that are on the truck and replace any bad ones.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I bought a set of the big chrome ones a few years ago from NAPA. They look good with my stock wheels, and have held up well......but I don't live where the roads are salted, or where the climate has 4 seasons.

joecal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 stepside
Engine Size
305ci
I bought a set of the big chrome ones a few years ago from NAPA. They look good with my stock wheels, and have held up well......but I don't live where the roads are salted, or where the climate has 4 seasons.

Thanks, I almost bought a set of chrome ones pretty cheap on ebay, I thought they might rust but maybe not. I have chrome ones on my boat trailer and they're holding up pretty well so far. I ended up buying a set of stainless covered ones on ebay that were for a GM product, they're a little different in design but they fit.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm not sure your going to find an all stainless lug nut. They may just have a stainless cap like you have now. Reason being, stainless threads have a tendency to gall if not used with an anti seize.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda