LQ4 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackedup86

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
This is a pretty far off build, but boy do I have drive and time to think! I am planning on doing an on/off road build. I've been looking around for cheap ways to get a lot of horsepower, and a lot of things are pointing me toward the 6.0. I'd like to know what modifications i need to do. Motor mounts, firewall clearance etc. Also, with the correct bellhousing, if I am correct, it will bolt directly to an NV4500 five speed. What am I looking at for wiring modifications? I have local shops that can re-tune the computer but to adapt all of the GM plugs to old body chevy ignition and starter wiring. I am assuming a lot of this is just removed completely.... I've gotten pretty excited about this since I read an article in "Truckin" http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/engine/1301tr_budget_friendly_horsepower_6_0l_engine/viewall.html
500+ hp for under 5k sounds good to me! any input is appreciated :rockit:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Better off with a 5.3...its a much better engine, and guzzles less fuel.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Better off with a 5.3...its a much better engine, and guzzles less fuel.

This is incorrect.

6.0 is better in every way, except that it's more difficult to find and generally more expensive. It has more hp, more torque, same fuel mileage, and more potential.

I have both.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
This is incorrect.

6.0 is better in every way, except that it's more difficult to find and generally more expensive. It has more hp, more torque, same fuel mileage, and more potential.

I have both.

Hmmmm...interesting. Everyone I have talked to, including some fleet managers at local AG companies say otherwise.

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
I have a 6.0 in my 02 1500 hd. Been a great engine lots of torque and pretty good hp. I only get 13 mpg with it, that's with it tuned up and not puttin my foot in it. Had strait pipes on it and milage went down to 9 mpg. Mufflers brought it back up to 13. Sounds awsome with strait pipes just couldn't get it inspected. In my opinion they are great engines. I pondered puttin one in my 84 k20, but my 6.2 gets 20mpg. So I'm stickin with the Detroit

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hmmmm...interesting. Everyone I have talked to, including some fleet managers at local AG companies say otherwise.

If they are comparing 1500s with 5.3s to 2500s with 6.0s, then yes.

But in the same vehicle there is zero difference in fuel mileage, and 6.0 has way more power.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Wow you guys act like you are loving 13 out of a 6.0 with a tune and some mufflers on it. I get that out of my wore out 350 and SM465 and 4:10 gears. If i have that to look forward to if i ever do an LS swap ill stick with the old iron.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
MPG would be better if it's not in a 3/4 ton. And gears/aerodynamics/weight have as much to do with MPG as anything.

And for me, the swap was worth it for the drivability and reliability. And it just looks damn cool :rice:

Last edited:

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Wow you guys act like you are loving 13 out of a 6.0 with a tune and some mufflers on it. I get that out of my wore out 350 and SM465 and 4:10 gears. If i have that to look forward to if i ever do an LS swap ill stick with the old iron.

Nope, I hate that mine gets 13. But I have had it for years and love the truck. And I have my 84 k20 diesel to get me good milage so I drive it to work a few days a week to not spend so much in gas. Wish I could put a 6.2 in my 02, I think I would get around 18mpg or so with one in it.

Jackedup86

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Fuel mileage is not something im gonna be worrying about at all. This is going to be a strictly horsepower build. If i get 8, then so be it. The truck is going to be a weekend driver and woods/mud toy that I hope to still keep nice. I'm definitely going to do a 6.0, more to work with from the factory. I'm wondering about wiring harness issues. What needs to be deleted and what am I looking at for price to re-flash the computer?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71