Lq4 swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z7master167

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys I'm new to the forum, have been reading for a while trying to gather information.. I have an 84 c10 swb with a 350 and turbo 350 trans. My plan is to drop in a 6.0. Now im in the process of finding a 6.0 and I'm suppose to go look at one this weekend.
I'm planning on buying the whole car, it is a 2005 yukon with an awd transmission. I know I cant use the trans so my question is... what trans can I use without a ton of modifications? Will a 4l60e be good? And what year should I look for or is there a better trans I should get. I've read to use a 4l80 but I particularly don't want to get a new driveshaft but I will if that's what needs to happen. I've already got the dirty dingo slider mounts.
My next question is... since the vehicle is an awd will the wiring harness connect to a 4l60 or 80 and then is it as simple as having someone tune the pcm for the trans?
Thanks ahead of time guys!

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
You should be able to use the 4l60e but keep existing transfer case. Some adapting might be needed and would need to add vss. 4l80e is better, but 60e is ok for most basic uses. Harness needs a repin and a tune to use 4l80e
Edit: for 2wd get 2wd trans or convert the 4wd unit and no vss work needed for ecm, just for the gauge cluster

Last edited:

Z7master167

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You should be able to use the 4l60e but keep existing transfer case. Some adapting might be needed and would need to add vss. 4l80e is better, but 60e is ok for most basic uses. Harness needs a repin and a tune to use 4l80e
Total noob when it comes to mechanic work but isn't a transfer case for a 4wd? I have a 2wd. Might be wrong idk I'm learning as I go

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Total noob when it comes to mechanic work but isn't a transfer case for a 4wd? I have a 2wd. Might be wrong idk I'm learning as I go
I thought your was 4wd for some reason. Then either get 2wd trans or convert the .4wd one(involved dissassembly)

Z7master167

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got the donor vehicle picked up today. Gotta find me a trans and I can start my swap

Z7master167

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok guys I have a new question. I just got a 4l80e trans out of an 05 savanna. My question is, do I use the computer and harness from the van, it's a drive by cable. Or do I use the harness and computer out of the yukon? It's a drive by wire

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Technically it doesn't matter but I'm thinking it will be easier to retune the engine stuff than the trans stuff so I would lean towards using the PCM that is setup already for the 4l80e. Just to explain, the engine tune changes are minimal on the pcm. You just tell it what motor you are using, displcaement etc etc and then they load a base tune for the fuel map that is safe (meaning rich and not producing as much power and fuel efficiency as possible) but doing the transmission stuff requires a segment swap and some rewiring on the harness (if your original harness was a 4l60e setup originally) and while that pin swap on the connector is super easy to do the segment swap is not something all tuners either are familiar with, or get right on the first (or sometimes second, third and fourth tries). So in short I'd rather not be down because a tuner can't fiddle with the trans component of the PCM setup.

Hope that helps

Z7master167

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok getting my ducks in a row now..
So far I have..
05 yukon denali 6.0 drive by wire
05 4l80e from savanna 3500
Dirty dingo sliders
Oil cooler block off
All star transmission dipstick.

What I need..
87 fuel tank
255 wallboro pump
C5 corvette filter/regulator
Dirty dingo trans mount
Cooling? Gonna try using rad and fans from yukon
Need to get harness reworked
Need to get pcm flashed
New or cut driveshaft
Dakota digital gauges
Headers? Not sure yet cant get the information I need.
Cut outs

Anything I may have missed please chime in

dcameron787

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I just replied to your header question and noticed this thread as well. If your regulator is on the rail you will not use the corvette regulator. You will have to run a return line up to the rail and use the factory regulator on the rail unless you you get a different fuel rail. I can send you my summit receipt with all the fitting and hardware I used if you like? Let me know if you have any questions. I just completed the swap and might me of some help.

Dave

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
If I might offer you a bit of advice...

Return the dirty dingleberry sliders if you are 2wd and get some of the Tejas Speed Engineering motor mounts. In effect you will skip needing the trans mount (so return it too or sell it) and use your stock crossmember and just need to slide it up or down depending on a few things (like engine placement, if you are 2 or 4wd, etc etc). The motor will be further forward and lifted up some so you wont have to notch your front cross member to clear the oil pan and then with a 4l8_ on 2wd I have been informed that everything lined up on the crossmembers if you are 2wd, so you won't have to do too much but you still want to get a good aluminum drive shaft regardless because as speeds approach 100+ on dynos they have been known to fail and break, and many dyno guys are not allowing dyno tuning if they are smart enough to know you are running an original SB driveshaft. If you are 4wd the same applies but you don't need a monster front driveshaft for daily driving so just plan on building bigger if you are going to the mud races and what not, but at that point you better start looking for a dana 60 because you'll be breaking 10 bolt front axles before a built driveshaft breaks.

You can use the fans and radiator from the yukon but fitting it into the square you might need a electric fan shroud to fit better. Tejas can help you there too and also provide a PCM mount for a fender mounted PCM in pretty much the OEM location as the stock harness allows for (On the drivers fender well)

Headers you can pretty much go with Speed Engineering LS swap Truck headers. They have a new model with a v band clamp on it so you can really setup a nice OEM style exhaust. Skip cut outs, those are for drag racers or people who do not care about hearing loss. There will be about a 5 week lead time, but honestly they are worth the wait, Likewise there have been some white box hooker headers on ebay (not sure on sellers) and they are real hooker swap headers and using them will allow you to cobble a system together using a myriad of stock parts if you wish, but to me the ease of the vband clamps (and no gaskets for them) has greater appeal. I'll be doing a 2 into 1 stockish setup on mine using V band clamps to assemble a 2.5 inch Y pipe that funnels into a 3 inch with a flex connector, so it can be removed without taking off everything (for easy transmission access because I am sure I'll blow up my 4l60 sooner (as opposed to later)).

If your donor Fan is a mechanical fan then you can use the square shroud, and the motor being slid up will actually benefit put it right in the spot it needs to be (if you are still using truck accessory brackets..

If you get to noting your donor Rad is crappy (old) you can replace it for about 110 bucks off Amazon and just google CU730 and that is the oem replacement and will bolt right in your truck with use of the big block top radiator hold down plate (I think you can only get them new off LMC)....

The 87 fuel tank will require your sending unit be a TBI sending unit to mount the FI pump as well, just fyi, and its not cheap exactly. Mine was around 80 bucks new.

Make sure and get your fuel pump from a reputable dealer because chinese fakery is rampant on "walbroke" fuel pumps and is not ideal do drop a truck tank (blazer tanks are easy, especially when you put a access hatch in the floor), but it all sucks when the tank is full of fuel. Check here- http://www.fuel-pumps.net/ They are known to be authorized reseller and know the difference between chinese knockoffs, so can help you identify them.

If your current LS intake has a regulator on the fuel rail don't waste time on the vette regulator. Just get the fuel filter for your year donor truck. That setup is PWM controlled from the ECU and can cause pressure issues if not setup properly. People will tell you they did it with no problem, those same people will also ask questions about why their truck runs like ass when they go WOT.... So rule of thumb is use what your intake fuel rail dictates. It might require you using some additional fuel line for a return line but that's easy and it doesn't have to be fancy stainless finish. Just use Ethanol and FI approved line with FI clamps and you can run a return back to the sending unit really easy.

As far as the harness and PCM goes, either do it yourself on the harness, or spend the money up front and have it done right by someone that isn't a hack and does it for a real business, and not some side hustle. I'm not going to name names but mine was done by one of the worst, and what I got back, he should be ashamed to say he worked on. Essentially I am going to buy another complete harness to have features added back in (which I asked to have) and also so it comes back looking like I expected

The best work and results I have seen is from LSX specialties. https://www.facebook.com/LSXspecialties/ It is pricy, but it is the finest results. He builds your harness on a board, and when you see it come back, it is a work of art.... Nice braided looming and everything fits because it's been test fit in an engine compartment.

He also does VATS removal and tuning, but the thing to know about tuning is that what you essentially do is put a base tune on your PCM , and the idea is you get your truck together, can get it fired up and running, then tweak and install your exhaust, then do a little self gratification and burnout (because the child inside us demands it) but after that you want to go to a dyno setup and get it dialed in well. The benefit of this is it takes advantage of the EFI swap and proivides you the ability to get the best economy when you are not flogging it, and it will not burn up your motor when you are. The base tune usually runs a nice fat fuel curve that will in no way be "Fuel Efficient" so if you find someone who can do it cheap, go ahead, and let them know your transmission, things you want to keep, and tire and gear sets. After that you might still end up needing to trailer it to a dyno tuner but it just depends on all of the variables sometimes that get overlooked. I think I would Trust LSX to be able to diagnose from afar and hot swap your PCM (meaning get it back to you in a day or two) and usually a decent tuner will make changes and updates for no additional charge.

As far as Dakota Digital gauges go, if you're talking about that digital monstrosity that is all LCD looking, I would honestly save your money and get the gauges that are Analog looking. The digital looking ones have problems where digits start turning into numbers they are not or just going blank because the cold solders come undone, and to be honest I have never heard of someone not having some kind of issues with them. If what you want is something that will be fed by the PCM, then you are better off getting a gauge cluster out of a 91 Blazer or Burb, which uses a VSS signal for your speedo direct from the PCM, and you can even hook up the diagnostic light to run off the dash Check Engine light). You can find them for between 80 to 120 USD, and honestly, it just works. You have to do some pinswaps on your cluster harness, but there is a guide for that too.

One other thing you want to either make sure is added to your harness, or you get and add yourself, os the OBD2 diagnostic port. It essentially consists of 4 wires and the harness builder can leave them as pig tails, at which point you can yank one off a wrecked vehicle or buy a new one and run the wires through your firewall and mount in a convenient place under the dash. You'll need it for tuning, testing, and checking codes when the arise.

Sorry for the book, but I just want to make sure you ask a ton of questions before spending more money on things that end up not working or costing more money. Trust me, I have been through the wringer....

Once you get down the road a little futher and get it running you can start doing things like... Setup cruise control...

Also, are you planning on keeping the AC? The Tejas motor mounts will allow you to keep the AC pump in the stock lower locationi and with some adapter pieces from (I think) coldhose.com you can get the LS AC compressor working with your square body AC if you have all the parts. You can probably replace the necessary stuff for cheap and then get it running with the conversion stuff pretty easy as well... Food for thought.

Z7master167

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the info rpcraft..
I done research on motor mounts and it seemed like everyone was using or wanting the dingo mounts.. I'm not opposed to changing mounts but if I leave stock trans crossmember I will have to route exhaust under it? Correct?
My plan is to put the truck on air ride and with dingo crossmember I can tuck the exhaust up further..
From everything I've read this far, the yukon has a returnless fuel rail but I have not tore the motor out to confirm yet.
The fans on the yukon are electric already so that's why I was wanting to go that route, to try to save a few dollars there. I have the whole vehicle it was t boned and totaled but not terribly bad.
As far as gauges I was wanting the vhx series dakota digital. Not just the kind with numbers
My truck is a 2wd by the way
And I haven't checked driveshaft prices or anything in that area but I have the driveshaft from the 3500 series van if there is a way to make it work?

I also don't have Facebook but I might start one just to gain knowledge..
I know nothing but what I've read about the swap so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Not sure what the Dirty dingo cross member looks like or how much it costs. I'm sure it is a quality piece. I went with their mounts initially but have been giving some thought to switching to the Tejas mounts when I switch to the 4l80 just because of how things will move around some but Tejas has a custom crossmember for 2wd that is fantastic and priced well at 125 USD..

My problem with the DD motor mounts is you have to cut a big notch in the front cross member to clear the oil pan and if it is big enough to be able to pull the pan in the truck then you have to box it in some to add some strength back (which I will be doing). Not a huge issue, but its just a pain doing it if you do not have access to welding and cutting tools, vs not having to do any of that with the Tejas mounts. I've read some people have gotten around it with the DD mounts by putting about 1/4 spacer washers between the clamshell and frame mount but it still precludes being able to look at the bottom end without pulling the motor. Hopefully that is a tiip that may help you keep from having to cut or notch anything.

The Tejas crossmember allows for tucked exhaust up to about 3 inch if i recall right and combined with his mounts no scraping of truck oil pans and such. He's pretty much a one stop shop for the 2wd C10 trucks and as time goes by we are working together to provide solutions for the 4x4 guys as well

Things are always a little more complicated with the 4x4's so that is why I ask.

All the Tejas stuff basically makes everything bolt on ready for a 2wd C 10 swap. He also has the fan shroud I mentioned so if the Denali piece does not wit well in your truck then it's a nice aluminum piece that he makes and he can cut any size hole you need as well as leave it intact so you can modify it and add whatever is necessary to attach the Denali fans

This is the Tejas website and you can just click at the top on shop for and look at the various products.

https://squareup.com/store/tejassteelworks/

He runs that facebook I linked and while I am not a big fan of using facebook for fact finding, in this case its a bit of a purpose built group, and the group admin has done a great job of keeping only reputable vendors there and he does a ton of community support as well as does LS swaps for customers. He's been really great about posting and sharing info, helping solve problems, which is why he started making the motor mounts and cross member. I make nothing from it, other than just helping people get pointed in the right direction and pointing them to Scotty (Tejas Steelworks).

The driveshaft you got off that van is perfect as far as function but will probably need to be shortened, and probably for under 200 bucks a good driveline place can shorten it and re-balance it for you. You may just need to use cross adapter U Joint for the rear axle but those are very common at most any parts store.

When it comes to checking for the fuel rail regulator you may be correct. The part # for the returnless filter is the same across all the vehicles so if you look at the application chart on Rockauto for your vehicle it will literally tell you all the vehicles it is used for so if you see a vette listed then you know. Probably the cleanest way to check. I think you may be right about it being one, but I just wanted to mention it earlier because all the people who do not know better state is as a fact that it can be done without knowing the complete details of the change-over.

Z7master167

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
DD website says their mounts clear all ls truck oil pans? And with motor all the way forward. 2.5 inches it will clear low mount ac compressor. A/c is not my main concern, that's something I can fool with down the road.
I was planning on sending my pcm to Brendan at lt1swap and having the guy he reccomends ro rework the harness.
If that is not a good idea please let me know but for 425 that'll get the harness and pcm done.
The DD trans crossmember is 129ish somewhere in there I have a driveline shop about 40 miles away, dont know where I can find a dyno to have someone tune it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk