Looking at blemished Vortec Heads on EBay...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Getting some funds from the IRS soon and I am looking for the cheapest route in obtaining Vortec Heads and intake. I know Jegs and Summit have a kit which includes everything; however, spending a grand isn't an option.

I found a shop on Ebay called Terry Rosebush Motorsports. Apparently, they deal with blemished new parts and inspect them before selling them. I've seen several Dart Vortec heads for less than $400 a pair.

Anyways, if these heads work out, can I use the existing parts from my stock heads w/o the need for buying more new parts to complete the new heads (unless these parts demand replacing)? Also, is there anything specific I should be looking for when searching for Vortec heads; or, are they all pretty much the same?

Here is an example of what I found: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dart-Pair-10024360-SBC-1996-99-Vortec-Heads-165-76cc-1-94int-1-50ex-2328-/360808917921?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5401e32ba1&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I sent the store owner an email. Hopefully, they will have a fair priced selection.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That ebay page has some smokin deals!

Those heads you posted a link too are bare heads without any of that **** ya need. Im not even sure how that works, do you try to just order valves with the same angles as those seats? Do you have the machine shop put it together or do you do it yourself?

I have an idea you might like, buy Dave Vizards book on porting and polishing heads. Stop by harbor freight and get a little dye grinder on your way to the wrecking yard where they should have at least one set of heads you can use.

The book shows you what factory heads are good, how to build a flow bench and where to grind inside the ports. You can also have your local machine shop do some custom valve work when you are getting the heads freshened up for cheaper than heads in a box. My big block heads were only a few hundred bucks to have rebuilt.

Im in the same situation with my big block and looking at the same thing, first time my truck gets spanked by a turbo diesel anything I will be trying to find better heads.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, shoot, I didn't even consider the heads being bare. I just say the price tag and thought it'd be something I could jump on. Apparently not. I don't have shop and my knowledge on such things doesn't exist.

I'm about to the point of realizing it ain't worth my time to do anything to my truck other than drive it.

*sigh*

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Well, shoot, I didn't even consider the heads being bare. I just say the price tag and thought it'd be something I could jump on. Apparently not. I don't have shop and my knowledge on such things doesn't exist.

I'm about to the point of realizing it ain't worth my time to do anything to my truck other than drive it.

*sigh*

If this makes any sense I hope it helps you out.

Its a hobby as well as a life skill, if you enjoy the challenge dont be discouraged by anything. Go get a book and read your ass off, read 100 opinions about it on the internet and then attack it in your own way.

Anyone claiming to know everything automotive is most likely someone full of **** spending to much time reading bad info on the internet. The internet is a blessing and a curse because you will read 90% regurgitated ******** and 10% real life experience.

Guys I know in my personal life that most would consider "competent mechanics" I would not trust working on my ****, they got to a point where the stopped learning because they think they know everything already. I learned this when dealing with a timing issue on my tbi big block, my buddy assured me he could set it by ear better than I could with a timing light, what method do you think worked better?

I showed a video of my big block running to a buddy who is Caterpillar Empire mechanic and he asked what it was I did for a living in the mine (not a professional mechanic).

If you want some good performance heads on the cheap and are a hands on kinda guy go get a book and read the **** out of it. Then go google the **** out of the subject and learn from others mistakes. End result will be some almost as good heads you modified yourself for a decent price.

Im all about books, in case you have not noticed. My case in point is my transmission problem, I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new TCI TH400 when I decided to get a book on rebuilding and modifying TH400 transmissions. Within a few minutes I realized what I did wrong doing my shift kit, pulled it apart and it was fixed for 20 bucks.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
358 Dart block with aluminum heads 430hp/450ft-lb torque
You may get off a bit cheaper if you just buy a set of cast iron heads from like national cylinder heads and pay the core. Yes there are a lot of differences like chamber size valve size cast or aluminum. Just google the casting number and you can get the specs for that cylinder head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Then buy whatever intake you'd like

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I may find myself going to salvage yards to find the parts I need. Once my tax refund comes back, I should have a budget of $2200. So, I have to keep the build as cheap as possible to get as much done as I can.

Here is my basic plan of attack:

* Acquire used vortec heads and intake
* Keeping the TBI; but upgrading it via these guys: http://marine-performance-parts.com/gmtbiperformance.aspx
* Upgrading CPU with a Jet Performance 6-pack (this thing is cool!). http://www.jetchip.com/JET_Chips_Modules.asp
* Slap on a set of long tube headers with glass-packs
* Cam upgrade - I'd like one with a choppy idle
* See what I have left for appearance upgrades / other misc work.

I'll have tons of q's as I approach this project. I am anticipating starting this in March.

chevyk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1984 chevy
Truck Model
k-10
Engine Size
Even if you salvage the heads I would have them reworked. Probably cheaper going through your preferred parts outlet and buy them rebuilt. May need upgrade on valve springs etc if you do much cam wise.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How far are you willing to travel to get a set of vortec heads? I live a little over 2 hours from you so I could keep an eye out for some.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harley011905