Looking at an RV 454 Friday...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
So I'm going to look at a 454 out of an RV on Friday. Its an '85 with 55,000 miles on it, and includes the trans (TH400), accessories, harness etc. It is still in the RV so I can see it run etc.

Anything I should be looking at or paying attention to? I've never bought a running used engine before so I want to make sure I catch anything funny. The guy did say that there was a rattle coming from the flywheel - he said its either a loose bolt or a broken flywheel - which sounds bad - but he said otherwise the engine runs fine and starts right up.

What do you all think?

And he's asking $800 for the whole package.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
if it were me, and I dont have knowledge of bbc of any sorts other than sizes etc, but I'd take some tools with me, pull some spark plugs, check them out. I would even pull a valve cover or both actually and see what it looks like in there. If there was time or if i had any hesitation id take oil and a filter with me and offer to change the oil so I could see what it looked like. That may be overkill but 30 bucks and some time is well worth it for some piece of mind. You never know what a motor has been through, how many actual miles, if it's ever been majorly overheated and leaking fluids into the oil pan. Price doesn't sound bad at all to me but I'd make sure the noise isn't anything major. Again I may be odd but I've seen people try to pull fast ones to make a buck

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
if it were me, and I dont have knowledge of bbc of any sorts other than sizes etc, but I'd take some tools with me, pull some spark plugs, check them out. I would even pull a valve cover or both actually and see what it looks like in there. If there was time or if i had any hesitation id take oil and a filter with me and offer to change the oil so I could see what it looked like. That may be overkill but 30 bucks and some time is well worth it for some piece of mind. You never know what a motor has been through, how many actual miles, if it's ever been majorly overheated and leaking fluids into the oil pan. Price doesn't sound bad at all to me but I'd make sure the noise isn't anything major. Again I may be odd but I've seen people try to pull fast ones to make a buck

Hmm good call on bringing the oil change with me. That way I can get a good look at what might be floating in the oil. I definitely plan to pull the valve covers too - I'd hate to get it home and find its full of sludge.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Adam where are you going to look at this 454 & trans there is one for sale here where I live in belleview . the flex plates do crack and make one hella sound and look at the trans real good some motor homes came with a gear vender o/d hanging on the end of the trans . if it dose have the o/d you will need the control mod and wiring for it

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Its in Titusville. There are a few of these up on clist right now, unfortunately this is the only one without pictures.

If it does have the o/d unit on it, I'll take as much of the wiring/controls as I can find for it and I might just put that in my truck.

I'm looking at buying this combo for my 80 Camaro.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising