Long time Chevy fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Hello Everyone,

Name here is Chris. 48 year old from Reno,Nevada. Been a Chevy truck fan ever since my father bought a brand new 71 C-10. I still to this day remember that truck fondly. I can still remember the California plate # as well.

Now that I have a decent job and saved some $$, I went out and bought myself an 81 K-20 4x4 with granny low 4 speed that runs pretty decent.
And a 1985 C-20 Silverado automatic that i had planned on using as a parts truck for the 81.

But have changed my mind about bastardizing the 2 wheel truck after reading the thread "1985 C20 Silverado build" from 1low4x4 . Thats one very nice looking truck. And I might have just found some inspiration for my second build.

As for my abilities, I have worked on cars and trucks for years. I dont know everything but I know enough to figure most things out. Really want to learn to weld and prime/paint my own rides.

As I mentioned already I'm located in good ol' Reno. But lived most my life over in California. Born in Oxnard then moved to "Hell on Earth" Bakersfield (area) . Finally decided to try Reno. Been here now for 20 + years.

If you want to know anymore just pm me.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome! Pics of the truck?

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Sorry about that.

These first two are the 81 Custom Deluxe K-20 4x4 Bone stock. Even with the sad little mirrors. Plan for this truck is a mild lift with 16 inch steel wheels (replace the 16.5's) and the same trim package as the Silverado. But instead of Custom Deluxe, it will be a Scottsdale 20 when done.

New front fenders are sitting next to it along with a new hood sitting in the bed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Next we have the 85 C-20 Silverado . Again pretty much stock as far as I can tell. I hope to be able to work all the dings and dents out of the cab trim and tailgate mouldings on this one. Just want this one as close to showroom perfect as can be.

This one will also need a pass side door since the one on it is rotted from the trim line to the bottom.

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Cool! Definitely some nice trucks! Don't look too rough.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Well, the top truck has some rusted cab corners and rust along the bottom parts of the bed. And badly dented areas behind the rear wheels (both sides). Im trying to decide what color to paint it. I have paint codes and a sample sheet from the early 80's . Still can't decide.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome!

I lived in Reno a few years ago, right off of wells Ave. I drove my 85 when I lived there, you might have saw it on the road once. It was blue and rust colored for a while and then it was covered in dark grey primer.

There is a guy in Sun Valley with an absolute shitload of squares, more squares than you will ever see in your life in one place. If your looking for parts just put a wanted ad on craigslist in the auto section, thats how I found the guy.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Born in Oxnard then moved to "Hell on Earth" Bakersfield.

Oh man, Oxnard & Bakeypatch. Reno must have felt like paradise after that. Welcome from Ojai.

Reno81K20

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1981 & 1985
Truck Model
K-20 & C-20
Engine Size
350 4Spd & 350 Automatic
Ojai ?? I have been through there more times than I can count. My dad was a firefighter for Oxnard and Santa Barbara County. He even did a short time with the Forestry Service in Ojai. That was maybe 70-71 ish. We used to drive from the Bakersfield area (Taft) on ol' 33 to Port Huneme on weekends to visit grandma. I liked Ojai and matilija and those tunnels on 33. Awsome times.

And yes Reno is quite a change from that testicle sweating Bakerfield.

We get 4 seasons in 1 day here.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer