Lockup Convertor Mod on 700R4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh yeah, I wanted to confirm, this is a 700r4, not a 4L60-E? 93 was first coulda been 4L60-E, actually should be, but I do know some 93 700r4's do exist.

Sad but true,it is a confirmed 700R4.
When I had it rebuilt in Citrus Heights,The manager of the shop told Me He tried to find a New or a,in better shape used case as Mine,He could`nt find one so He had some sort of repairs done to Mine,put it back together,so far it has been one tough trooper and withheld through a lot of hard pulls.
I`ll see if I can find the receipt for what they installed into the trans for hard parts,I`m sure they uprated everything that could be done so.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sad but true,it is a confirmed 700R4.
When I had it rebuilt in Citrus Heights,The manager of the shop told Me He tried to find a New or a,in better shape used case as Mine,He could`nt find one so He had some sort of repairs done to Mine,put it back together,so far it has been one tough trooper and withheld through a lot of hard pulls.
I`ll see if I can find the receipt for what they installed into the trans for hard parts,I`m sure they uprated everything that could be done so.

Why Sad But True? 4L60-E is not much better than a 700r4. Actually worse in some areas. Give or Take... Pretty much if you get an 88 or later 700r4, it's as good as a 4L60-E. 4L60-E does have a couple little improvements, and those improvements DO retrofit all the way back to 87 700r4's and some go all the way back to 82. Just depends on the upgrade. And I don't know all of them wo checking back into it. It's very tough keeping up with updates when they were every year after year after year.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Why Sad But True? 4L60-E is not much better than a 700r4. Actually worse in some areas. Give or Take... Pretty much if you get an 88 or later 700r4, it's as good as a 4L60-E. 4L60-E does have a couple little improvements, and those improvements DO retrofit all the way back to 87 700r4's and some go all the way back to 82. Just depends on the upgrade. And I don't know all of them wo checking back into it. It's very tough keeping up with updates when they were every year after year after year.

Well,I guess that sonds better.I was to the thinking the the 4L60E was a much better transmission.
I remember the owner of RED-D transmissions telling Me about the sungear shell and He replacing that along with a lot of other hard parts,and drilling out one of the fluid riflings to better improve the flow the the sungears.
I now have over a hundredthousand onb that rebuild and it seems to be working flawlessly,although,I do find that when it unlocks the convertor on a pull,it seems like it has enough torque to make it over the hill,then,BAM comes on third.I was thinking by,installing a switch so that I could manually unlock the converter,that in a lot of instances it would have enough torque to make the pull,without coming out of overdrive.
But then,it just may put a lot of unecessary strain on the sun/planetary gears that it coulkd destroy them again too,probably better oft to let it alone as it has lasted real good as it is,go messing aroun and ruin the whole works.:shocked:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Pisses me off, but happy for people when they say their getting 100,000 miles out of a 700r4.
Its a 4L60 since 90, and a 4L60E from mid 93 on up.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pisses me off, but happy for people when they say their getting 100,000 miles out of a 700r4.
Its a 4L60 since 90, and a 4L60E from mid 93 on up.

I bought this pickup,second owner,it had just over 100,000 on it,the transmission had been rebuilt at some time as it had the rebuilders markings on it.
I do`nt think I would have got this many miles on this transmission if,I had not changed fluid every 20,000 and,along with the mods that were put into it during the second rebuild,along with the warnings,from the owners book and,from the rebuilder about towing in overdrive.
I find it very helpfull to have instilled onto the pan,that nice drain plug kit.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Those drain plug kits are nice. Bowtie installs them on all of there transmissions.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Those drain plug kits are nice. Bowtie installs them on all of there transmissions.

????? I have never seen one instilled from the factory,worked 31 years mech. for the DOT and never seen one,would that be on the GoodWrench rebuilts ????

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
????? I have never seen one instilled from the factory,worked 31 years mech. for the DOT and never seen one,would that be on the GoodWrench rebuilts ????

no, bowtie is a trans shop in SoCal.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I kinda figured that when you said Citrus heights...know it very well.

It doesw turn into one of them WTF moments when Your 1000 miles away from home and the transmixer sounds like its runnin a batch of concrete.:hahano:
Brother lives in Grass Valley area,kind of oft towards Aubern so it warnt too bad of an ordeal,other than the threethousand bucks that I did`nt have along,that is one time I was real thankfull for having a credit card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe