Locking Tailgate Handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have been hunting around the web for a tailgate handle that locks, or a solution to lock the tailgate on my 87 LWB. The tailgate itself seems to be from a much older truck... probably the same one my front bumper and passenger door came from, along with gosh knows what else.

Anyone seen any reasonable and "easy" solutions?

I run mine with a toneau bed cover, and would love to be able to at least fake securing things in there.

Thanks!

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have been hunting around the web for a tailgate handle that locks, or a solution to lock the tailgate on my 87 LWB. The tailgate itself seems to be from a much older truck... probably the same one my front bumper and passenger door came from, along with gosh knows what else.

Anyone seen any reasonable and "easy" solutions?

I run mine with a toneau bed cover, and would love to be able to at least fake securing things in there.

Thanks!

Non easy solutions welcome too, I suppose. I was trying to figure out if some of the tailgate handle/lock combos for the newer Chevy's might work in this case, but I don't know anyone who has tried.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I don't know if this is helpful but not don't limit your search to full-size chevy trucks. My 07 Colorado has a locking tailgate handle and while there are not as many of those in the junkyard it's a completely different truck than the Silverado/Sierra so it might have a "closer" locking system to what you need.

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
I don't know if this is helpful but not don't limit your search to full-size chevy trucks. My 07 Colorado has a locking tailgate handle and while there are not as many of those in the junkyard it's a completely different truck than the Silverado/Sierra so it might have a "closer" locking system to what you need.

I am hoping to tap someones exoerience. Hope hope!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Uuugh! I used to have a lock/cover on my tailgate handle years ago....Pop-Lock was the brand I believe. It was basically a black metal cover that had a locking mechanism which when engaged (locked) would secure itself within the opening of the tailgate handle. I suppose if no longer on the market, you could fabricate one using a piece of 16 -14 gauge metal sheet stock and a file cabinet drawere type lock (1/4-1/2 turn latch style).

Moonsaber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
350 TBI
Uuugh! I used to have a lock/cover on my tailgate handle years ago....Pop-Lock was the brand I believe. It was basically a black metal cover that had a locking mechanism which when engaged (locked) would secure itself within the opening of the tailgate handle. I suppose if no longer on the market, you could fabricate one using a piece of 16 -14 gauge metal sheet stock and a file cabinet drawere type lock (1/4-1/2 turn latch style).

Can't find products for a Square anywhere, but I did go to Pop&Lock's website to see if they might have some old stock or ideas.

I do wonder if the S10 tailgate handle is close enough...

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not really sure why people want a locking tail gate. But if you are really insistent just take a look at the early 73-?? whatever year trucks.

Both trunions are BOLTED to the bed and the tailgate has to be UNBOLTED from the bed or its simply not coming out.

If you close tailgate on my truck you can't just pop it off and your going to need some tools.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31