LMC Factory Tach

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I've been wondering about that tach/fuel gauge unit too. Is there something different about the back of the 1987 and up VSS clusters that makes them bill that unit as only fitting 1986 and lower? I haven't pulled the cluster out of my 91 Burb yet to look, but it would be really cool if I could install that tach in it - just don't want to spend $200 on an experiment....

Little bit of a thread resurrection here...Daveo, did you ever try to install this guage in your burb? I have a 90 burb and am thinking about doing the same thing. Was wondering if you did it, and if you had any problems with it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
'87-'89 clusters are like the earlier clusters. '90 and '91 clusters have an electric speedometer and are built different.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
'87-'89 clusters are like the earlier clusters. '90 and '91 clusters have an electric speedometer and are built different.

So that gauge wont work with my cluster?? Is it due to fitment?...because, as I understand it, all it needs is to hook up to the distributor, right (and the existing fuel gauge wiring)?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So that gauge wont work with my cluster?? Is it due to fitment?...because, as I understand it, all it needs is to hook up to the distributor, right (and the existing fuel gauge wiring)?

I'm not sure what needs to be done to make it work, I've never messed with the electronic clusters before.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Where can a guy find out about swapping to an electric cluster?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Little bit of a thread resurrection here...Daveo, did you ever try to install this guage in your burb? I have a 90 burb and am thinking about doing the same thing. Was wondering if you did it, and if you had any problems with it.

kickdeez: I have purchased the tach/fuel gauge unit, but have not installed yet. It is sitting on my work bench and has been for a few months. So I can't say for sure it will work buy I am reasonably confident that it will . Interestingly, since I posted that, I purchased a '90 Burb parts rig and it came with the LMC tach (the one without a fuel gauge)! But it doesn't work. and the LMC fuel gauge in the small hole doesn't work either. BUT, the tach physically fits in the big hole and it did not affect the working of the electronic speedo or the other gauges so I know it is possible. The biggest conundrum I have is what to do with the two idiot lights. One is just the seat belt light which I will probably not replace, but the other is the brake warning light. I will probably just wire in an indicator light with parts from radio shack for the brake light. I will definitely post pics when I get this installed - hopefully in the week I am taking off around Christmas!

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
kickdeez: I have purchased the tach/fuel gauge unit, but have not installed yet. It is sitting on my work bench and has been for a few months. So I can't say for sure it will work buy I am reasonably confident that it will . Interestingly, since I posted that, I purchased a '90 Burb parts rig and it came with the LMC tach (the one without a fuel gauge)! But it doesn't work. and the LMC fuel gauge in the small hole doesn't work either. BUT, the tach physically fits in the big hole and it did not affect the working of the electronic speedo or the other gauges so I know it is possible. The biggest conundrum I have is what to do with the two idiot lights. One is just the seat belt light which I will probably not replace, but the other is the brake warning light. I will probably just wire in an indicator light with parts from radio shack for the brake light. I will definitely post pics when I get this installed - hopefully in the week I am taking off around Christmas!

Interested to see what you do here, and how it all works out. I'll be patiently waiting to see how yours turns out :popcorn:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rotti_rancher