Legality of rolling back an odometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i rolled mine back by replacing it with one off ebay that had 200 miles on it.

:)

mileage exempt on title so nobody cares here in missouri.

good luck

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i rolled mine back by replacing it with one off ebay that had 200 miles on it.

mileage exempt on title so nobody cares here in missouri.

good luck
Same here in Texas. On older vehicles that roll over at 100,000 miles, the title states "Odometer Beyond Mechanical Limits".

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you had the title to the cab, that would be the easiest route, I’d think. But in the end, I’d maybe call the dmv and try to proactively eliminate a potential future headache.
I don’t remember the miles status on the old cars I titled in NM, but I gotta believe that’s of zero concern.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
In most states you don't have to report mileage after a certain vehicle age. In Oregon the title legally follows the frame. You might want to check your local laws. I can't imagine that you need a "NEW" vin and title on a reconstructed vehicle that you have a title for already. In Oregon you would have to get an inspection to get your regular title back from reconstructing a salvage vehicle. It would then have a "reconstructed" brand on the title.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, I’ve never owned a piece of sandpaper that was finer than 2000 grit and turned out a couple really nice paint jobs so...that is some serious show car sandpaper!

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello there,
I have an odd dilemma relating a peiced together Frankenstein truck (or a Johnny Cash Cadillac if you know the song lol).
The truck is a K10 long bed.
The frame is from a 76 K10 Cheyenne, the axles are out of a 83 K20, springs from a 85 K30, cab from a 85 C10, bed from a 78 C10, engine from a 74 blazer, trans and transfer from a 78 jimmy, ect, ect. So many different trucks worth of parts it's hard to keep track of.
Anyway.... my question results from me rebuilding and restoring a gauge cluster. The odometer I have says 10,311, but its out of a blazer that was at the junk yard. I dont know the mileage for any other part I have.
I do have a title for the 76 Cheyenne that is the frame, and the title said 98,500 in 1989 when the title was last transferred.
Now, should I match the last known milage on the title, or because I'm restoring, do I have the right to roll it back to 0?
I'm going end up having to get a rebuild or salvage title, and get a new VIN issued for it, but what are the rules as far as milage goes?
Or should I just get it registered as a 76 Cheyenne and tell them that its rolled over from 98,500 to 10,000, and not go into detail about its mutt like genetics?
Any help you all can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Just use the mileage on the cluster, no one cares or will ask anything about it. No reason to roll it back cause it doesn't matter that truck will be worth what it's worth cause all the random parts.

Reactions: WFO

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, I’ve never owned a piece of sandpaper that was finer than 2000 grit and turned out a couple really nice paint jobs so...that is some serious show car sandpaper!
Huh:33:o_O

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Rolling back the odometer is illegal. Technically, it’s not illegal to roll the odometer FORWARD until it reads all zeros. Use whatever speedo head is closest to rolling over, clamp a drill to a piece of plywood, chuck a old speedo cable in the drill head, and turn on the drill.

Or, take apart the speedo head and mechanically set it to zero. If your worried about the DMV, wait until you get the registration all straightened out.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
In Kansas to register a vehicle as an antique vehicle it must appear stock. An ls motor would be a no go. Aftermarket wheels are a no go. Had to find original 6 lug steelies

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
In Kansas to register a vehicle as an antique vehicle it must appear stock. An ls motor would be a no go. Aftermarket wheels are a no go. Had to find original 6 lug steelies

How does that work?? Who makes the decision that a vehicle IS stock, or appears stock? Is there a referee station or people who make these decisions? Who does the research??

I’m not arguing, I just find it difficult to believe the BMV would waste valuable resources on things like that. Of course, the BMV is a government operation.

WebMonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
How does that work?? Who makes the decision that a vehicle IS stock, or appears stock? Is there a referee station or people who make these decisions? Who does the research??

I’m not arguing, I just find it difficult to believe the BMV would waste valuable resources on things like that. Of course, the BMV is a government operation.

different states = different 'rules'.

i was VERY suprised at the relaxed standards to meet 'historic vehicle' plates here in missouri.

i'm NOT complaining of course.

i guess some states feel if they are going to give you a huge break on licensing fees and/or inspection requirements, they want proof that what you're claiming is true.

kinda like voter ID.
;)

(in missouri, i'm 'done' with my 85 K20 for life. i don't have to go by the dmv or inspection station ever again.)

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

The highway patrol inspects it , they run frame number, vin number and engine number. They visually inspect it and if the inspector says those are aftermarket wheels, bumper, wrong engine whatever catches his eye and he doesn't like will fail you. Then the police at any time of they notice the antique tag, but the officer notices those are not the right wheels they can give you a fix it ticket. And it is at the discretion of the inspector and the police. Which is why I posted up the question a year or so back what all wheels could a 1975 k could have had on it, hoping to find something visually close enough to not have a problem. I've argued with them a 57 chevy with a straight axle and a bigblock is still an antique but their standing is nope it's some kind of modified whatever not an antique. Just like when you build a Franken vehicle. It is inspected for body number, engine number, frame number. Given a vin assigned by the state and registered as an assembled vehicle 2021 or what ever year they issue your VIN/Title so you pay taxes on a new car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ