LED Round Headlight Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I switched to Halogens many years ago from the old sealed beam that originally came on the truck.
I couldn't believe the difference in what I could see at night especially when we lived way out in the country. I swear it was so dark out there when we first moved out there, it seemed to suck up my head light, like the light itself seemed diminished, even the high beam only seemed as bright as the low beams. But after I went to Halogens that seemed to take care of..."The Dark"! It was like being in a horror movie or something when we first moved out there. "The Dark" "Don't turn your lights on or they will be sucked up!!" "The Dark" playing at a theater near you"

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I switched to Halogens many years ago from the old sealed beam that originally came on the truck.
I couldn't believe the difference in what I could see at night especially when we lived way out in the country. I swear it was so dark out there when we first moved out there, it seemed to suck up my head light, like the light itself seemed diminished, even the high beam only seemed as bright as the low beams. But after I went to Halogens that seemed to take care of..."The Dark"! It was like being in a horror movie or something when we first moved out there. "The Dark" "Don't turn your lights on or they will be sucked up!!" "The Dark" playing at a theater near you"
I mean the sealed ones were halogen too but the smaller ones allowed for brighter light without using a **** load of juice to make the entire thing the same heat but that is where better reflector snd housing design allowed to use the light more appropriately

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The sad thing is how bad the DOT “certified” headlights are. Technically my hella H4 housings are illegal because the have the euro cutoff pattern. However they were used by law enforcement, fire departments, and ambulance for many years because of the superior light pattern.
Or the Audi S4 I had was equipped with HID bulbs- and was high beamed a lot by incoming drivers. Thought it was weird- as the level/adjustment was computer controlled. Turns out the “US spec” light had to have the projector lens with light diffusing rings on it. It was specifically designed to scatter light everywhere! Why is the US so stupid?
Ecode (euro spec) version had a nice cutoff and a clear lens. :rolleyes:
So my H4 housings in my opinion meet the crappy US spec for dispersed light.

K5ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Stepside
Engine Size
I finally installed the LED headlights. What a big improvement over the halogen. When I first set up to adjust the headlights, I found that part of the reason I couldn't see well was they were so far out of adjustment. My right side halogen was way low.

You must be registered for see images attach

The LED headlight lens on these look similar to stock. They don't have all the space age werid looking crap like some do.

This pic is when I was adjusting the led lights before they were "indexed". You can see the light is a clean white instead of the yellow look I had with my halogen.

Here is a pic of the headlights on the road after indexing.

The LED conversion was a huge improvement over the halogen and I can see great. The stock type lens keeps me from blinding others. Overall I'm satisfied with the Headlight Experts LED Conversion kit. It was priced reasonably at under $200.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Figured I'd update this thread as I just read an article about LED lighting for those who have the "old school" sealed beam headlights. Holley has come out with a headlight that looks period correct. No alien bug eye type look. And they fit in the original headlight buckets without modification (supposedly).

They are called Holley Retrobright LED and I think look just like my Hella H4 headlights.

They also come in "classic white" LED bulb which is more of that typical yellow color that halogens used to be. If you don't like that they have "modern white". They also have a yellow lens, which I'm not sure would be legal in all states.

Kinda spendy- but not as much as some. Looks like $399 for a pair of headlights. I appreciate their effort to support older classic cars and trucks.

You must be registered for see images

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Figured I'd update this thread as I just read an article about LED lighting for those who have the "old school" sealed beam headlights. Holley has come out with a headlight that looks period correct. No alien bug eye type look. And they fit in the original headlight buckets without modification (supposedly).

They are called Holley Retrobright LED and I think look just like my Hella H4 headlights.

They also come in "classic white" LED bulb which is more of that typical yellow color that halogens used to be. If you don't like that they have "modern white". They also have a yellow lens, which I'm not sure would be legal in all states.

Kinda spendy- but not as much as some. Looks like $399 for a pair of headlights. I appreciate their effort to support older classic cars and trucks.

You must be registered for see images
i saw those i forgot to come back to this or one of the other threads but Im glad you got it :)

Shadrap23

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i recently did the LED conversion on my C10. Octane lighting out of CA supplied nice lights and pretty close to the OEM look. How did we see years ago with tan lights?..:shakehead:

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 42

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
i recently did the LED conversion on my C10. Octane lighting out of CA supplied nice lights and pretty close to the OEM look. How did we see years ago with tan lights?..:shakehead:
im not sure, I have really hard time seeing with warm lighting compared to most people, and its not just the contrast increase that promotes seeing and noticing things. I wish I knew more about it,lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg