Latest thinking on replacement gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhenderz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Going through the postings it looks like the most recent discussion on replacement gauges was in 2017. I am starting to think about new gauges for the 77 K10 restoration (current gauges are shot - was left out in the weather for years without doors). So I am curious, what is the current thinking for complete replacement gauge sets? Is Dakota still the preferred path? I would like to stick with analog (looking) gauges. The truck will have a complete new wire harness from American Autowire. Engine is old school SB327 with Edelbrock ProFlo 4 fuel injection.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Many folks like the look of the Dakota gauges, but they are expensive, and obviously not stock.

All the parts are out there to restore original gauges, including adding the tach conversion, and I prefer that choice. For additional gauges (AFR, boost, trans temp, etc.) you can use a pillar mount or underdash mount. However, there are also many DIY articles on replacing the old cluster with Autometer or other aftermarket gauges. Its really up to you and what you like.

Bruce

flying2275

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Many folks like the look of the Dakota gauges, but they are expensive, and obviously not stock.

All the parts are out there to restore original gauges, including adding the tach conversion, and I prefer that choice. For additional gauges (AFR, boost, trans temp, etc.) you can use a pillar mount or underdash mount. However, there are also many DIY articles on replacing the old cluster with Autometer or other aftermarket gauges. Its really up to you and what you like.

Bruce

Is anyone still selling the factory looking tach conversion with the fuel gauge on the bottom? I know GMSports has in the past but no longer does.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
https://www.classicinstruments.com/

I’m going to look into these. I wasn’t aware this company existed until I was driving by their factory in Boyne City. I haven’t researched them lately because I’m a ways off on the gauge replacement.
I like the velocity ones! I dont like the fact that they all have the big tach though

You must be registered for see images attach

mdws1987

Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
305 cu in v8
LMC TRUCK has added tachometer conversion kits to their catalog. $300....

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
I put these Dakota digital gauges in last year

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
I ordered a set of Speed Hut gauges. You can pick from numerous face, lighting, ranges and other options. I've got another 3 weeks or so till they arrive.

clendon1

Reaction score
First Name
Butch
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
468 BB
You can get original looking gauges from LMC truck and others

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Ron Sebastian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe V10
Engine Size
Going through the postings it looks like the most recent discussion on replacement gauges was in 2017. I am starting to think about new gauges for the 77 K10 restoration (current gauges are shot - was left out in the weather for years without doors). So I am curious, what is the current thinking for complete replacement gauge sets? Is Dakota still the preferred path? I would like to stick with analog (looking) gauges. The truck will have a complete new wire harness from American Autowire. Engine is old school SB327 with Edelbrock ProFlo 4 fuel injection.
I have an extra LMC tach conversion I used for my 1987. Fuel gauge is a little off, but the rest of the kit is complete. You just need to get all the other gauges. I can't offer it for sale though. I don't have enough posts. Oh well too bad.

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
These may not be for everyone as the style is not a factory look. This is what I ordered from Speed Hut.

RobertWichert

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
If anybody is still following this thread... I am going to post a new thread on gauge cluster upgrades. I am posting to this thread because https://www.gmsquarebody.com/members/75gmck25.11849/ said "All the parts are out there to restore original gauges, including adding the tach conversion, and I prefer that choice."

I would literally buy stock gauges and mounting and bezel and cover, but all I can find are digital gauges. Where could I get stock gauges? Where could I get a "stock" tach conversion? I have looked everywhere that I can think of.

My truck is a 1975 K10 shortbed stepside (not that that matters! HA!) with a granny four-speed.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey