Lackluster Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
If you do tear into it check your cam timing with a degree wheel , the quality of timing chain sets is not what it used to be.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alright so I went in and I went through it and completely rechecked everything and started from scratch.

1) Dot on distributor rotor lines up with rotor on the top

2) Tissue paper in hole.. *pop* .. insert wire. Turn over balancer TDC is almost 100% spot on with timing mark. Rolled back so 0* mark was around 8* BTDC to get the truck started.

3) Put cap on distributor marked where #1 terminal was on base of distributor

4) Inserted distributor and locked down pointing at #1 cylinder

5) Put cap on with rotor pointing to #1 terminal

Truck fires up and runs. BUT the thing is when it was running I grabbed the timing light and it went from being at around 8* BTDC and jumped to 8-10* ATDC
based off of this timing tape (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wcs...5_pri_larg.jpg)

The numbers are so that I can read them when I'm facing the front of the engine and not put on backwards. I then advance the distributor again to put timing pointer to 8* BTDC again.

If its jumping from 8* BTDC to 8* ATDC that would mean initial install of cam would be 16* retarded?

I am going out in a few minutes to pickup a dial back timing light as well to help with this but thinking maybe something else is up?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
engine off what direction do the numbers on the tape read? left to right or right to left?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I figured out the timing tape debacle which makes sense now.

Which means I'm putting my distributor in at 8* BTDC but when the truck fires up and starts to run its at 8* ATDC according to the tape which well doesn't make any sense.

But I have a dial back timing light now so once I get it running tomorrow maybe I'll have a better idea of what is going on.

But since everything checks out I still can't figure out why I'm loss of power in the 2-2500rpm range.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok so I don't know if any one of these two events cause another but here is what happened tonight.

I stuck my dial back on and checked the timing and bumped it up so its running at 15* BTDC. Took it for a run.. same ****.

So I got thinking about how I was doing some reading last night and people say you should have a spark plug gap of .040-0.045 and this got me thinking. My truck is from 1974 and GM/Chev didn't introduce HEI until 1975. So when I ordered the plugs for my truck I ordered them for a 1974 which come gapped @ .030 . So I grabbed a 0.020 and a 0.024 that I had lying around and regapped the plugs.

Now after I did this I got the truck running and now it was bellowing a ton of blue smoke which it didn't do before and reallllly got me puzzled. So I shut the truck off and started re-checking crap again and I found that linkage for the main flap was locked shut.. WTF!

So I fixed that and took it for a drive and hot damn she'll crank right over to 4k no issues now!!

So I don't know if it was a combination of the choke holding the flap closed or the gap being to small but either way the truck is running good now and I thank everyone in here for putting up with me.

Now its onto fixing the front end because that poor old 4x4 hasn't seen any love in a LONG time.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
:)Wow just wow. It's amazing how it's always the little things .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomespunLobster