K5 with long tubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Any one have issues with long tubes on your K5. From what I have read they can be a nightmare from time to time. As in hitting the driveline during flex and melting plug wires and what not. I am more curious of hitting the flex issues. Any input would be appreciated before I get a set of shortys when i would like long tube.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Shorties are usually a waste of time, barely better performing than manifolds. And you still have to be careful with plug wires.

Flowtech headers fit fine, just a little thin.
Hooker headers fit fine, but routing wires above them (I hate under) causes trouble with one cylinder. #3 if I recall.
Hedman has two different designs, one style hangs a little low and rubs the spring shackles but is a breeze to install. The other style tucks up nicely but the right side was a bitch for me to install. Hedman sells both styles in different coatings and material thicknesses, something for every budget.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
So hedman sounds like the direction to lean. I was thinking i was gonna have to stick shortys on and use a short pipe to aide in the flow of the stock cats. AKA beat the **** out of em

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They come with ball flange collectors and nice serrated bolts/nuts, but they will REFUSE to stay tight unless you double-nut them. It's no big deal, but very good to know from the start.

Also, cheaper headers come with paper style gaskets that will only last if the bolts are re-torqued after a couple days of use, then every few weeks for the first several months. Or just spend 30 bucks on nice copper or aluminum gaskets.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
rah joe... I was never a fan of thin gaskets and always opted for thicker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugRedC10