K10 needs some beefing up help!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bkap725

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a 86 k10 and I bought a 8 inch lift with 39 inch tires what are some suggestions for axels and **** cause I don't want **** breaking when I go mudding???

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
you need a dana 60 front and 14bolt rear
If I was you I would find a cucv axle set they are already setup with 4.56gears and a Detroit locker and usually have no miles

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Rockwell 2 1/2 ton axles :)

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Watch out for your frame cracking where the steering box gets bolted on to it. Large tires increase the stress.

There are both bolt on and weld on kits to strengthen the frame up there.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Dana 60 , 14 bolt full float , 4.56 or lower gears.I have dana 44s in the front of most of the trucks I have had with no problems other than axle joints for mudding. Now days they make bad ass axle's and joints that are way better. The only down fall to the 60 is its a boat anchor in the mud compared to the 44 but the 60 is way beefier. I really have not had to many issue's with the 44 and I mostly run 38's and 40's and I would not run a locker in the front with big rubber in the mud , (more stress), so its a choice thats up to you , dana 60 heavy and tuff , dana 44 , light , more clearance , and can be made pretty tuff with out a locker by up grading the axle's and joints.

I also would worry about the trans. and case , for big rubber and mud I dont like the 700r or a 208 case , (weak) , I run turbo 400's and 205's in most of my junk , but thats just me.

My blazer I am building has a rv cammed 400 smallblock 9.5 to 1 , turbo 400/205 with a 14 bolt ff rear and a dana 44 front ,(4.56's) with 40's and I have only broken one axle joint in the deep ass lake bed mud beating it up pretty hard. If I break another joint I will just go with cmt racing joints and chromolly axle's to keep the light front end.

Rock crawling is a whole different story , dana 60 all the way.

It's also not a bad idea to truss a 44 with big rubber , I have not done that yet but its on the list , here is a pic.

You must be registered for see images attach

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Watch out for your frame cracking where the steering box gets bolted on to it. Large tires increase the stress.

There are both bolt on and weld on kits to strengthen the frame up there.

Very true , it's not if it will crack it's when , I have the ord kit on the blazer and its's been good so far. Cross over steering as well. Oh I have a 10 bolt in the blazer , (same difference) , I had to clear that up before someone nailed me on that , but I have had a ton of 44's

Bkap725

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Cool thanks a lot I think I'm gonna go with 44s what all do I have to do in a swap for that on my k10??

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Dana 44 and 10 bolt corp. pretty much the same front end , just find an 8 lug one and bolt it up or convert your's to 8 lug , backing plate's out.

I would only run spicer axle joints as well.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You need 1 ton axles, dayna 60 front and 14 bolt rear and like hirschdalechevy stated the turbo 400 and 205 is the way to go if you can get them. I would even use a th350 over a 700R4 if your on a budget. I will be putting a 700R4 in my truck but my neighbor builds 700R4s and its going to be pretty strong. Its not a transmission you just toss a shift kit in and go like a TH400.

Some parts that would be nice to add would be crossover steering kit and hydro assist steering, hydro boost kit for brakes which is an add on to the steering kit and a rear disk swap on the 14 bolt.

Them are some big tires and if you don't beef up the axles and are hard on the truck your either going to spend the money to fix it rite the first time or fixing it every time it brakes on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood