Joel's '87 GMC V2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Hail brothers.

Creeper on the site for a few years, Finally trying to join the fray.

I live in Central IL, in the C/U area. I currently work at the local U-haul. Where I clean, park, inspect, and repair the trucks.

My first truck was an 86 2wd, 305 sbc all original swiss cheese grey on black with the orange pin stripes. 5 lug rally wheels and a 10 bolt rear end.

My current truck is my dream vehicle in the making - 1987 GMC V2500 Sierra Classic, Baby blue with dark blue mid section, fleetside 8ft. TBI 5.7L 350 SBC THM400 8 Lug wheels with a Dana front axle and 14 bolt rear with 4:10 gears.

I bought the truck for $600 in Salt lake city, Utah. It had 108k original miles, with original equipment.

SLC has strict emissions so It took me about a month or so to get it legal, This consisted of different exhaust manifolds, full tune up, and a head gasket and valve job. All done by me.

Sadly, my SLC job ran out, and I followed an ill thought out plan to join the National guard, back to my home state of Illinois. Where I have been for the past year, staying with my baby mothers, sister. Sleeping on the sofa.

As a single father, I have struggled to get back on my feet since walking out of my last apartment a few years ago, due to the breakup between my daughters mother and I.

Needless to say, My GMC is the one thing I have that makes me really happy. I drove it home from Utah, and broke in two states. First was a water pump, which I fixed on the side of the road with my girl in her stroller on the side while I did it. Fun stuff.

Next break down was a front passanger wheel bearing (I took the steel wheel off and put the spare on before the trip, because the one that was on it was warped) So with $0 left and no options, a member of the family borrowed a brand new trailer from a buddy, and drove us the last few hundred miles home in his 2012 5.3L. I am very blessed to still have my truck.

Unfortunately it took me months to fix the wheel bearing, because I started a night shift job the day after I got home, And had a terrible time adjusting.

Once I got that done, winter hit, and the starting problems began. After a more in depth tune up, I got it running again, Just to have major power problems. I had several burned wires, a blown head gasket, and a crack in the cylinder wall between 3 and 5. So I bought a motor fro $150 out of a buddies family junk yard, from a 91 4x4, that had tranny problems. So once in my truck with my trans, It ran great. EXCEPT! of course... more problems...

The trans wouldnt shift and the motor smoked like oil burn very bad.....
I installed a new regulator, and a new accumulator piston in the valve body, Got my shifting back. When I pulled a valve cover, I was shocked to see the worst oil deposits ever. So I did another full head and valve job myself. (outside of the trailer we live in)

Finally now in October 2013, My truck was alive! I was so happy with it, drove it everyday and finally felt normal again.

After about a month of driving, and problems getting the valve lash right. The motor locked up on my just a few days ago. Needless to say I am very upset! But for $150 motor, and a $40 gasket set. Oh well. The hurt is knowing that my 4x4 is broke, and it's about to start snowing!

I'll try to add some pics, If you read all of that and stayed with it, I thank you. Love the forum. Hope I can get my poor beast back to life, somehow.

Attachments

• GMC1.jpg
    GMC1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 101
  • GMC2500.jpg
    GMC2500.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 79
  • Sierra.jpg
    Sierra.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Sierra2.jpg
    Sierra2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 72
  • CleanGMC.jpg
    CleanGMC.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 76

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Helluva story....Welcome to the family!

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Glad to know I'm not the only one my square gives trouble to. welcome to the group here. I have a friend that owns a pick a part yard over in Danville called Coultas. I'm about a hour other side of there and have a lot of parts also.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

cramezl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Way to stick with it

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Thank you guys, It's been a trip! Hope one day I can get all that rust dealt with - So tired of messing with the motor.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yah good story, you seemed determined not to let her die. Strong trait to have.

1ATony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Welcome to the site :wave:

Mr Clean

Super Moderator