Is this wire keeping me from starting my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gpaw44

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My 86 GMC 305 will not start. I have replace the ignition module , coil was checked and shows to be good. Cap and rotor looked to have quite a bit of wear so they were replaced, still will not start. After all back together I notice a wire that near the top of the firewall that had the insulation burned off. This wire connects 2 red wires. At the top where it is bolted it is written 14 gage fsable. With the ignition on, and my test light I jumped from the bolt on the firewall down near where the one wire connects to the 2 wires and I did not get a signal. Is this connected to the ignition? I am going to replace just would like some reassurance!

I attached a jumper wire to the bolt and and down near the 2 wires and it still would not start. Any suggestions why I am not getting a spark. Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Which wire? Circle it.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The wire that is burnt is a fuseable link. Some how too much current passed through and burnt the link. That is what it was designed to do. You need that replaced and also find where there was a short to ground or an accessory that has shorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe