Is a 2wd 4L60E worth the trouble?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
you can go too those transmission web sites and all of them tell you about the problems.bigger pan and extra fluid.did not help.with the oiling problems and the heat build up.there are rebuilders and there are rebuilders..you get what you pay for..

no way.i would.install any of gm,s over drive trans..in anything- we raced years ago..street or the track..we used tb400 transmissions..i guess to keep the rpm,s down you can change out the rears..

the 400 will stand up too anything..it just does not have the over drive.you could look in to the new gm transmission replacements..maybe gm..finally got it right..

i think gm-kept using the defective 4l60e and the 4l80e..because they were massed produced..and they did not want..to just..send them all to the crusher.

and lose money..money and greed..is all that big corporations are about..

Cant argue with stuipidity lol. I guess you didnt realize that the 4L80E was originally designed off of the TH400. Yea they made a few mistakes in this transmission but AGAIN NOTHING THAT AFTERMARKET PARTS CANT FIX, course you cant understand that because all you do is read forums and take your **** to the stealership.

Hey you are right about 1 thing. The transmissions were mass produced, BUT funny thing is they were mass produced EVERY YEAR.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
see this is what i am talking about.people will speak-on something they know nothing about.when my defective 4l60e went out..i went on forums they have on these transmissions and went too the dealer..i called gm in Detroit.they will tell you the same thing..because.they are not going to make any of them good..they did away with the 4l60e and the 4l80e because they had internal oiling problems and defective parts..they even installed at the factory..trans coolers..to try and help the problem,but it did not work..the trans guy at the dealership..told the same thing..defective parts and a internal oiling problem..he had a lot full of them.pulling them out.every day..fixing them.even new front wheel drive cadillacs.with internal pressure problems..gm did away with both transmissions.because.they would not hold up.i do not know.anything about the new replacement..or if it will interchange.gm,s designers..tried to correct the oiling problems.for years..but could not do it..if the gm people could not fix this internal trans problem.a rebuilder is not either.he is installing all up graded parts.that will stand up to the oiling problem and the extra heat.generated.go on line..you will see and read.what all the custom builders.do to the trans..i would trust some that i have seen..

I assume you are reffering to other people on other forums not KNOWING what they are talking about when it comes to transmissions. It is true. I see **** all the time that erks me on other forums. When I see them, I just want to sign up on that forum just to call the poster stupid for spreding bad info. Then I realize its a post that is 2 years old, so why bother. Biggest lie I see, is someone asks, I have a 4x4, or a street strip truck. I want to put a bad ass tough transmission in it which is stronger the Th400 or the 700r4. Then you see a response like, go for the 700r4 dude, Th400 are POS. I got news. Th400 is NOT a POS by far. It has its downsides but strength is not one of them.
I will disagree with you on your statement, if the GM people could not fix a problem, then a rebuilder can't either. That is not true. There are aftermarket companies like Sonnax who disect transmission problems of all makes and models and their engineers will make aftermarket parts for the corrections that GM failed to do. Like the Beast sunshell for example. Sonnax made that part in the mid 80's. GM finally made a new sunshell that is as good, maybe even a little better than the beast just a couple/few years ago. Sonnax also makes valve and bore repair kits where GM would trash the vavlebody and start over with a new one and the bore of the new vavlebody just starts wearing again like the last one did. The Sonnax fix is a fix and will repair the original valve body. There are several scenarios on that I can give where aftermarket companies have improved upon what GM failed to do. Also, GM came up with a 5 pinion planet, that really wasn't necessary. I have yet to open up a 700r4 or 4L60-E that had a broke 4 pinion planet. It sure doens't hurt though. I think GM needs to spend more time on engineering a new 3-4 clutch pack or a way to keep it cooler, rather then deal with a 5 pinion planet.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
the 60E in my 94 had a cracked planetary carrier. we put a new set of planetaries in it, too bad it hadn't been 2 weeks later that i had it built, or i could've upgraded to the 5 pinion.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
the 60E in my 94 had a cracked planetary carrier. we put a new set of planetaries in it, too bad it hadn't been 2 weeks later that i had it built, or i could've upgraded to the 5 pinion.

You're the first I'd ever heard of having a broken planet in a 4L60-E. But you also mentioned its in the carrier. Wouldn't it seem to reason a 5th planet would make the carrier weaker in that case? a 5th planet means the pinions are closer together and an additional hole on both side of the carrier meaning less metal in the carrier halves. ?!?!?!?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
You're the first I'd ever heard of having a broken planet in a 4L60-E. But you also mentioned its in the carrier. Wouldn't it seem to reason a 5th planet would make the carrier weaker in that case? a 5th planet means the pinions are closer together and an additional hole on both side of the carrier meaning less metal in the carrier halves. ?!?!?!?

5 pinion was designed for durability with teh thinking that it would reduce internal vibrations, having more support on the carrier actually does make them less likely to break.

I have seen a few that have broken, MOST times it was from severe people hotrodding a street transmission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just a note. For those of you who want the 5 pinion upgrade if reading these posts. DO NOT get your 5 pinion from anyone other than a GM dealer or someone you know for a fact is selling genuine GM pinions. There are many 5 pinion planets being sold now. Most are made in China and they are actually much weaker than the OEM 4 pinion planet. So get the genuine GM 5 pinion planet or don't get it at all.

I see your point on the 5 pinion being stronger even though the carrier has more holes in it. Better support will equal less fatigue in the carrier. Some people don't realize more is not always better. One good example of this, would be the 700r4/4L60-E pumps. Pumps come in 7 vane rotors, 10 vane rotors and 13 vane rotors. More is better right? WRONG !!! The 13 vanes are notorious for putting to much strain on the rotor, not to mention, less metal between each vane making the rotor weaker and subject to breaking. For a hipo application, a 10 vane rotor is best. It creates enough pump pressure and is more durable and will tolerate more abuse without breaking.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Just a note. For those of you who want the 5 pinion upgrade if reading these posts. DO NOT get your 5 pinion from anyone other than a GM dealer or someone you know for a fact is selling genuine GM pinions. There are many 5 pinion planets being sold now. Most are made in China and they are actually much weaker than the OEM 4 pinion planet. So get the genuine GM 5 pinion planet or don't get it at all.

I see your point on the 5 pinion being stronger even though the carrier has more holes in it. Better support will equal less fatigue in the carrier. Some people don't realize more is not always better. One good example of this, would be the 700r4/4L60-E pumps. Pumps come in 7 vane rotors, 10 vane rotors and 13 vane rotors. More is better right? WRONG !!! The 13 vanes are notorious for putting to much strain on the rotor, not to mention, less metal between each vane making the rotor weaker and subject to breaking. For a hipo application, a 10 vane rotor is best. It creates enough pump pressure and is more durable and will tolerate more abuse without breaking.

alright now ****** dont be sharing all the little build secrets, theres obviously other forums that are "better suited" for Transmission advise than ours lol :shitsweak:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
trans guy that built it was confused as well, wasn't something he had seen before. it wasn't "broken", just had a crack starting in it. trans had ~130K on it, and was working fine. i took it in to have the tailshaft swapped, and ended up going full on build.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
alright now ****** dont be sharing all the little build secrets, theres obviously other forums that are "better suited" for Transmission advise than ours lol :shitsweak:

Oh come on now. I didn't share much, like work on the 3-4 clutch pack, sleeving the input drum and ....., :roflbow::roflbow::roflbow: There's lots I coulda shared like which valves to ream, bore and replace that noone ever does at the "Professional" transmission shops, didn't mention servo work either.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
trans guy that built it was confused as well, wasn't something he had seen before. it wasn't "broken", just had a crack starting in it. trans had ~130K on it, and was working fine. i took it in to have the tailshaft swapped, and ended up going full on build.

You either got a good trans builder or a crook. Not sure how he knew it had a bad planet from swapping the tailshaft housing if that's what you are saying. If he caught on a normal build, he did his job. Many builders don't inspect parts worth a ****. I always inspect planets closely. I haven't found many go bad. My bros trans I built had a bad pinion on the rear planet. The thrust washers were gone, and the gear could slide up and down and you could see over 1/3 of the needle bearings that were left.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
You either got a good trans builder or a crook. Not sure how he knew it had a bad planet from swapping the tailshaft housing if that's what you are saying. If he caught on a normal build, he did his job. Many builders don't inspect parts worth a ****. I always inspect planets closely. I haven't found many go bad. My bros trans I built had a bad pinion on the rear planet. The thrust washers were gone, and the gear could slide up and down and you could see over 1/3 of the needle bearings that were left.

not a tailshaft housing... a tailshaft... output shaft. the trans has to come apart for that.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
not a tailshaft housing... a tailshaft... output shaft. the trans has to come apart for that.

Ahh OK I get it. That makes sense now. So while pulling the trans apart to replace the output shaft he found the bad planet !!! That's a good builder. :waytogo:

82chevyk10

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465
Go manual. Mine has a few minor problems, but it can't be killed.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Not an option for a few of us for health reasons.

I know what you mean. I put my junk down the left leg of my pants. Just about everytime I step on the clutch pedal, I end up smashing the tip of my junk. :happy175: :happy175: :happy175:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB