Interior Insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
What's everyone using for interior insulation under their carpet? This is for thermal not sound. I already have butyl stuff to use on the floor first. Alot of threads are guys building but not actually driving after they use blank product. I'm planning to make this truck quiet and cool inside like newer cars. No fun having your feet and legs on fire!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
You could deflect heat outside the cab, a little bit of that aluminum heat shield stuff attached to the exhaust or to the floorboard/firewall. If you can mount the stuff with a little air gap that should make it work even better.

This type of stuff:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmhpeahs2028

If you are replacing the carpet look at Auto Custom Carpets (ACC) carpet kit with the upgraded mass backing (45 mil thick), the ACC kits also include padding in factory locations.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
For my '85, I used a double layer of Kilmat 50ml (could've just bought their thicker version but didn't know about it at the time) on the floors, up back wall of the cab to even with the top of the seat, up the firewall about a foot and then a single layer on the kick panels, inside the doors skins and on the door structure (under the door panel). Then I covered the Kilmat on the floor with some Noico Red closed cell foam. Then the factory carpet over top. Did not reuse the factory tar based sound deadener cuz it was falling apart. I'll tell ya now, I want louder mufflers on the truck after all that lol. It made a HUGE sound difference. I mostly hear wind noise now going down the road. I never noticed any excessive heat in the truck, so I can't really comment on that but I have no doubt the Kilmat helps being foil backed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
I plan to add MLV and Mass Backed ACC carpet as well. I want it quiet and cool inside for an old truck.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I used sound deadened everywhere I could (Dynamat-KilMat-Noico)
then the Butyl mat, then the heat and sound insulation kit (Has foil to reflect heat) , Tape all seams with foil tape, the (HVAC) tape is of better quality. Then I finished with an insulation backed carpet. My truck is as cool and quiet as a luxury car.

Last edited:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Mine currently just has the heavy mass backed carpet and headliner and is noticeably quieter than the bare bones C20 I had with no headliner and thin non-backed carpet. I have the 50mil Kilmat that I plan on using for vibration deadening on the floor, roof, doors, and cab back. Then I have 80mil closed foam insulation to go over the top of that, then the mass backed carpet over that. Also, tinting the windows(regardless of how dark) with UV blocking tint will make a huge difference in how much heat transmits into the cab.

The butyl stuff is mostly for vibration damping, but also does some heat rejection. Closed cell foam is primarily for thermal insulation and will do a bit of noise damping as well. The high mass jute type material is primarily for noise insulation, but can also have some thermal insulating properties.

Magna86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Magna86
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Chevy 350
What brand did you for the foil thermal kit?

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lizard skin. they have both for sound and heat.

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
A couple of you guys are making me and my single layer of expensive Dynamat feel like chopped liver, lol

Shawn

Attachments

• IMG_0545.JPG
    IMG_0545.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0550.JPG
    IMG_0550.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 127

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
A couple of you guys are making me and my single layer of expensive Dynamat feel like chopped liver, lol

Shawn
My single layer did wonders for heat and sound. Does very well. I also only did the floor in the drivers area of my burb so far, I also have the tape I need to put down yet.

Brought the inside temps way down with the dynamat and vinyl floor in the front. I expect a big temp drop when I finish the floor and put some foam down and some kind of covering in the back section. The roof of course too.

I went with dynamat because they've been doing this forever, they were the first I ever heard of with this type of insulation. No smell, great stuff.

Shawn Watson

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Same here. It's encouraging to hear what a difference it's made. I've only ever used it for stereo sound in the doors of a new at the time 08 Dodge Megacab and it made a really big difference in something that was already really quiet.

I may need to Dynamat my wing windows and the rear slider :laughing1:

Shawn

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
For my '85, I used a double layer of Kilmat 50ml (could've just bought their thicker version but didn't know about it at the time) on the floors, up back wall of the cab to even with the top of the seat, up the firewall about a foot and then a single layer on the kick panels, inside the doors skins and on the door structure (under the door panel). Then I covered the Kilmat on the floor with some Noico Red closed cell foam. Then the factory carpet over top. Did not reuse the factory tar based sound deadener cuz it was falling apart. I'll tell ya now, I want louder mufflers on the truck after all that lol. It made a HUGE sound difference. I mostly hear wind noise now going down the road. I never noticed any excessive heat in the truck, so I can't really comment on that but I have no doubt the Kilmat helps being foil backed.

I use a similar Noico product over a sound deadening mat. The cab is noticably cooler from exhaust and engine heat and I think much quieter (I haven't put the carpet back yet)

C10SLEY

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 stroker
I used sound deadened everywhere I could (Dynamat-KilMat-Noico)
then the Butyl mat, then the heat and sound insulation kit (Has foil to reflect heat) , Tape all seams with foil tape, the (HVAC) tape is of better quality. Then I finished with an insulation backed carpet. My truck is as cool and quiet as a luxury car.
This is impressive! And excessive, lol
Ever wonder about trapping moisture anywhere?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84