intergrated heads, options and modification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I've yet to pull the head off of my own 250, so I'm afraid I can't help with a lot of personal experience there. Referring to my Haynes manual, it says you will need to remove rocker arms and pushrods in addition to the valve cover. Obviously since they're attached to the heads, you'll be removing the intake and exhaust manifold assembly as well.

As far as head bolts, specs seem to indicate 95 ft-lbs, though again I'm looking at a book for 73-87 so I can't be positive that's correct for your (presumably 1970) inline 6, you may want to do some independent verification of that. I personally would just re-use the bolts after a thorough cleaning, but that may be a terrible idea because (again) I've never done this before. Also here's a (poor) picture of the torque sequence, it seems to jive with some other diagrams I've found online.

You must be registered for see images attach

The Haynes manual also suggests adding a coat sealant if you're using a steel gasket.

Not sure if any of that helps at all, but good luck I suppose. Also, you may want to start a new thread with your question since this one's kinda old.

You ideally don't wanna reuse the head bolts.

They stretch from thermal expansion of the combustion process over and over and over again.

I've reused head bolts, but that's because the particular motor didn't have blind, tapped holes.

If the block has blind holes, you definitely want to stay away from reusing the bolts, they won't bring the head down flush

Where my knowledge stops is, I don't know if a 250 has blind tapped holes or not.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've reused head bolts on many 230 and 250's and never had an issue. Always just made sure I did the proper torque spec and in proper order. Did about 80% of the torque through rotation, then started over and went to 100% through proper rotation and weld the hood shut.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You ideally don't wanna reuse the head bolts.

They stretch from thermal expansion of the combustion process over and over and over again.

I've reused head bolts, but that's because the particular motor didn't have blind, tapped holes.

If the block has blind holes, you definitely want to stay away from reusing the bolts, they won't bring the head down flush

Where my knowledge stops is, I don't know if a 250 has blind tapped holes or not.

Inline 6 are literally so perfect that you can reuse the head bolts.

SiX iN a RoW, rEaDy To ToW

79Scott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10-Silverado
Engine Size
305ci
All this talk about the 4.1 integrated head motor, I just sold my 79 with 140k on it about 9 months ago!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef