1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Initial Timing Advice

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Squirrely Brother, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Squirrely Brother

Squirrely Brother Full Access Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    @Ricko1966 I’m back to bother you. The truck ended doing the same thing with flooding, stalling and no start. I ended up replacing the coil, cap, rotor, module, had carb rebuilt and added a fuel pressure regulator. I’m going to change the spark plugs because I would think they have to be beyond fouled from too rich a condition, because there’s a tiny stubble in the idle when it gets warm. I’m going to clean them and save them as a spare set. It currently has cr43ts, but would you suggest going with cr45ts or cr44ts to run hotter? I just would like to finally have it work consistently. Thank you, in advance.

2. Bextreme04

Bextreme04 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K25
    Engine Size:
    350-4bbl
    I had good results going to a T rather than a TS. R44T gapped to .045 was the sweet spot for my motor and runs good. The "S" suffix denotes the extended tip, and some applications don't like it. The "C" prefix denotes commercial and is hard to find. R44T are $3/ea at all the big box parts stores.

Squirrely Brother likes this.
  3. Ricko1966

Ricko1966 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    c20
    Engine Size:
    Back to basics. To run the truck needs air, fuel,compression and ignition.yes it needs to be in correct time but let's stick with basics. Can it get air as in chokes not shut tight.Does it have fuel? Look for accelerator pump shot.Does it have spark ? Pull a plug clamp it in a grounded jumper cable and crank. Look for spark. One of those is missing.

4. Squirrely Brother

Squirrely Brother Full Access Member

First Name:
    Alan
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    C10
    Engine Size:
    @Ricko1966 Not sure if the carb had an issue the rebuild kit fixed or if the fuel pump had too much pressure. After putting the carb back on and a regulator at 6 lbs with a new Carter pump, turn the key and it starts right up. After 10 minutes of idle there was a very small stumble. I couldn’t find 8 r44t plugs, so I picked up the cr44ts and swapping them out tomorrow. Appreciate your reply.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Ricko1966 likes this.