Inexpensive cup holders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

overdrivestepside

Reaction score
First Name
Santo
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 custom deluxe shortbed sidestep
Engine Size

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I don't see how people are using the ashtray spot for that. Those doors/hinges were never known for being strong. More like easily bent. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to stick that big double cup holder in there, then add a couple of heavy drinks. Seems like asking for problems.

tadslc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't see how people are using the ashtray spot for that. Those doors/hinges were never known for being strong. More like easily bent. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to stick that big double cup holder in there, then add a couple of heavy drinks. Seems like asking for problems.
I installed the ashtray mount cup holder and have had no issue in a couple years. My biggest complaint is it doesn't hold anything larger than a regular 12 oz can unless you pull out the plastic insert.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Even though I bought one…lol.
If it could hold “big” drinks it would be a no go for me. If it was a daily driver I’d also reconsider, so as not to tear up the ashtray hinges.
But if you leave the cup liners in it, the most weight you could put in it is a couple tall boys or longnecks.
Also note the hanger in my pic. Immediately I didn’t like it sagging especially with weight in it.
That reinforcement really helps.
And I probably wouldn’t buy one again….for the reasons you mention.

Speaking of cup holders, the schittiest factory cup holders I’ve seen are in the new old Dodge Durango I just bought. ‘99 vintage machine.
F those cup holders! They’re not deep enough to keep a full 12 oz’er from rolling out the front if you hit the brakes!
On the upside, the drivers side one spills right into the recessed 4wd shifter boot, making a miniature water tight beer swimming pool! Ask me how I know…..

dbush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500
Engine Size
Been working on a prototype that works as a console and cup holder. It’s a work in progress but very inexpensive to build.
You must be registered for see images attach

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Seems like that one could still be useful even if you converted to bucket seats one day.

I ended up going with this, because I wanted something minimal. It seems real solid, and it was cheap. Something off amazon made to fit in a GMC Acadia iirc. Coated it to match the interior with SEM's "Color Coat". I love SEM it's great stuff. Tough and always makes it look like it came that way. Redid the whole interior with it.

Anyway the cup holder goes on the trans tunnel in front of the bench seat. I'll just screw some piece of metal to the bottom of it, and run that underneath the seat. That way it can't tip over and stays put when you pick up a drink.

Attachments

• 20230218_125034.jpg
    20230218_125034.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230219_125430.jpg
    20230219_125430.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230218_121355.jpg
    20230218_121355.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

devinthedude

Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Even though I just spent 4 grand on tires and wheels, can’t bring myself to spend $200 on cup holders…..
Maybe different if it was a daily driver. But fwiw, the 2 cup holders that plug into the ashtray are “only” $35 at LMC I believe is where I bought it. Or purse with the state of WA and fed ex getting their share it was more like $55 total.
Works great but won’t hold anything bigger than a standard size can or beer bottle. And IMO the ashtray hinge and return spring in the ashtray hinge aren’t strong enough to hold 2 full longnecks on a bumpy road for very long and it sagged down way below flat or level just under its own weight.
I reinforced it by “hanging” it from one of the dash screws with a strap.
Not bulletproof but takes the stress off the still nicely working ashtray hinge.

Would I buy it again? Solid maybe.
You must be registered for see images attach
i bought the same one from LMC and it was too thick to fit. LMC said they've had multiple complaints about them not fitting but wont fix the problem i guess. they would'nt give me store credit or a refund without shipping it back which i was fine with. but after calling and being on hold and being told multiple times that they would email me a shipping label. i never got it so they just gave me the refund so now i have a cupholder that doesn't fit.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
i bought the same one from LMC and it was too thick to fit. LMC said they've had multiple complaints about them not fitting but wont fix the problem i guess. they would'nt give me store credit or a refund without shipping it back which i was fine with. but after calling and being on hold and being told multiple times that they would email me a shipping label. i never got it so they just gave me the refund so now i have a cupholder that doesn't fit.
Could you take the felt off of it?
Mine fits fine. Pretty tight but fine.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I've got one of these. Not mounted yet, but I'm slightly modifying the bracket and I'm bolting it to the seat frame with a u bolt. Right inline with the trans tunnel. I'm getting a second one as well.

They have a cell phone pocket as well. They also came out with a bigger version. I'm happy with the quality, they're more for agriculture application, but super universal. They are decently heavy! Made in minnesota I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS