IH DT360/DT466 feasibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 heavy half (retired)
Engine Size
Has anyone ever done this swap or looked into the feasibility of it? The international harvester 'DT' (and later HT) lines of engines, most commonly seen in school busses and medium duties, most commonly in sizes of 360 or 466 CID although other sizes exist.

What I can find about this engine seems to put it pretty darn close to the Cummins 6bt - and although i'm sort of settled to eventually plan around a Cummins 6bt swap, it's far enough out that i'm not committed and if a DT could be done without too much more difficulty or hassle i'm considering it. New info could nudge me back again.

Dimensions and weight are slightly more but actually very close especially to the later Cummins, which sound very straightforward to swap in with all the underhood room in 73-87's by what i've read, unless i've read wrong.

Main advantages might be availability and toughness - the DT360 (commonly and cheaply available) is heavier built than the already well built Cummins if I wanted to do future modifications... and due to cheapness could be more easily replaced if I ever took HP mods too far. :) Note i'm not asking anything about transmissions (itself a whole new problem i'm aware) but just the physical engine fitment quirks due to shape and such.

rennoc86

Reaction score
First Name
conner
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale 20
Engine Size
funny thing, im doing this very swap now. although im using an allison 1000 for a the transmission.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike