Ignition Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarrisonLe

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Pleasure to discover this neat forum!

I just acquired a 1982 C10 Silverado for $800, beautiful, solid truck with some mismatched bolt on modifications that drove home great but at that price there is some issues. The primary issue I am working on is reversing the anti theft measures the previous owner had put into place. The previous owner before the owner who had signed the title onto me had done something in such way where the truck keys must be turned into the on position and a lead connected between a coil wire and the positive post on the battery to turn the truck over and start. How can this be fixed in such a way where I can simply turn the truck over with just the keys? I have the steering column lowered and am looking at the ignition switch, from there what should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance guys, proud to join the club and excited to get it back on the road.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Man that is strange. You're gonna have to find the ignition wire that normally would run from the bulkhead connector to the HEI terminal labelled BAT or maybe B+. But that only gets power to the coil and distributor electronics, so you will also need to trace the start wire (usually purple) to the starter solenoid.

Here's the pink ignition wire on both ends. Sorry about the upside down distributor picture. Looks good when I edit the post, but rotates 180 degrees when I save the post. ???

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

HarrisonLe

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thank you so much for helping and the pictures, I took these before your reply but I’ll go take a look at your suggestions later. Some things to note why is my solenoid wire yellow?

HarrisonLe

Reaction score
First Name
Harrison
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Some other miscellaneous photos showing the rats nest under the dash and my fuse box, it’s a wonder this thing ran!

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The solenoid ( starter crank) wire is yellow coming out of the ignition switch going to the neutral safety switch, it comes out of the safety switch as purple. On cars with 2 purple wires going to the nuetral safety switch one of the purple wires will have a yellow tracers, or a yellow dash every couple inches. Just makes it easier to identify which wire does what function in the starter cranking circuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30