Idle / acceleration issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigmanisme

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Roughly how many turns out of the idle / air screw should be normal? I have them out almost 6 turns. Is this normal? If I lean it out anymore than that it does the popping through the exhaust.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow. You normally figure about 2-1/2 turns. Something is goofy.

Did you re-check your firing order? Easy to get a wire crossed.

Did you check and re-set your float levels? They are always wrong from the factory, and that over-pressure didn't help matters any.

bigmanisme

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Rich, I put it back to tdc #1. Redid the wires, checked the cap and rotor again and started fresh. Then did all of the timing / tuning. I found out tonight that the truck had been sitting for about a year. Previous owner said he started it "once in a while". I am now beginning to think I need to get into the carb and refresh it. New floats, accelerator pump, and of course the kit, which I already have.

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Was nearly the same problem I had with my edelbrock 1406, swapped on Holley and most of my issues went away. I'm not knocking edelbrock but it seems to be a lot more common to have issues than holley

bigmanisme

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
R3500
Engine Size
Yeah, I said to hell with it. Set total timing to 34*, went inside and ordered a Quick Fuel Slayer 750 last night. Thanks for your help guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85