I would like your brain power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
Hey gents, so i need some opinions and thoughts but this aint a gm square body even tho its very square. We have a International s1900 semi, and the other day i went to haul hay and holy **** white smoke out the exhaust and darker smoke off the exhaust. So i let it warm up and gets worse, the darker smoke is from wat looks like a vent tube right above the exhaust down pipe and its leaking oil right onto the exhaust. :think: well i just need to get some hay hauled cus it was going to rain so i trucked to the closes feild and before i knew it she was over heated. So i shut her down and opened the hood also i didnt' have heat in the cap...which has never happend so instanly i think thermastat. well i grab the heater hose and its cold, so then i move to the over flow tank its cold i open it and its bone dry, then open the radiator which is never a smart thing but at this point im know i have no coolant......So now im just bamboozald, I check the oil and .....theres the missing coolant. Fuggggg, and this thing has air brakes that leak.....sooo have to let it cool down and then i run it home. :sorry: . So then i quiz my dad and brother, on has this thing acted up? and the only thing they remember is they were hauling cattle and all of a sudden they heard a little pop and then the motor reved up and all crazy then a few seconds later went back to normal and they procedded to haul cattle the rest of the day. That was about a month ago and then the truck sat.

STAY WITH ME GUYS PLEASE! :help:

So tonight we pull the head off and i go over the head gasket with a fine tooth comb, don't see any abnormal spots, then i inspect the head for anything... actualy looks very good, and valves. Then i move to the block and i inspect the block for any cracks and nothing, BUT! the #5 piston and cylinder are ******, i mean the piston looks fine (haven't pulled it) but the walls need to be bored, Id guess maybe .20. But my real question is.....is the head warped? did the head gasket blow some how but still looks good? or why would a bad cylinder have anything to do with the coolant?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach

That is a crack in the cylinder wall that had been bored .0060" over. That is considered to be the safe maximum - in this case it was too much. That crack developed when a bank caved in and the truck fell into a small creek going about 2 mph :

The coolant flows through passages that are on the other side of the visible crack. The thickness of the steel between the coolant passage and the cylinder wall is designed to be as thin as possible. This is to allow the greatest amount of heat transfer.

If the cylinder wall develops a crack in that area, the coolant has a direct path into the combustion space.

No amount of machining will help; an engine with a cracked block is toast.

Last edited:

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No its not cracked like that just gouged up and down.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Put a garden hose in the radiator and fill the block up to the top of the coolant passages but without overflowing them. Look down into the cylinder. If the wall is cracked (even a tiny bit) it will be obvious.

An easier way (but it takes longer) is to drop the piston to BDC and fill the cylinder. Remove the lower radiator hose (or a block drain plug if you can) and watch for water dripping out. Some water will get past the rings and into the sump, so leave the oil pan drain open to avoid confusion.

What foreign object got into the cylinder that would cause scoring - where did it come from? The cylinder head maybe?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey gents, so i need some opinions and thoughts but this aint a gm square body even tho its very square. We have a International s1900 semi, and the other day i went to haul hay and holy **** white smoke out the exhaust and darker smoke off the exhaust. So i let it warm up and gets worse, the darker smoke is from wat looks like a vent tube right above the exhaust down pipe and its leaking oil right onto the exhaust. :think: well i just need to get some hay hauled cus it was going to rain so i trucked to the closes feild and before i knew it she was over heated. So i shut her down and opened the hood also i didnt' have heat in the cap...which has never happend so instanly i think thermastat. well i grab the heater hose and its cold, so then i move to the over flow tank its cold i open it and its bone dry, then open the radiator which is never a smart thing but at this point im know i have no coolant......So now im just bamboozald, I check the oil and .....theres the missing coolant. Fuggggg, and this thing has air brakes that leak.....sooo have to let it cool down and then i run it home. :sorry: . So then i quiz my dad and brother, on has this thing acted up? and the only thing they remember is they were hauling cattle and all of a sudden they heard a little pop and then the motor reved up and all crazy then a few seconds later went back to normal and they procedded to haul cattle the rest of the day. That was about a month ago and then the truck sat.

STAY WITH ME GUYS PLEASE! :help:

So tonight we pull the head off and i go over the head gasket with a fine tooth comb, don't see any abnormal spots, then i inspect the head for anything... actualy looks very good, and valves. Then i move to the block and i inspect the block for any cracks and nothing, BUT! the #5 piston and cylinder are ******, i mean the piston looks fine (haven't pulled it) but the walls need to be bored, Id guess maybe .20. But my real question is.....is the head warped? did the head gasket blow some how but still looks good? or why would a bad cylinder have anything to do with the coolant?

What engine is it? Its not sleeved?
If you have the DT466. you should be able to re sleeve the cylinders. That oil line on the side that runs vertical is a bitch to...I used to carry a spare.

Last edited:

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
A bit more info on the engine would help is it a DT466 C, B or what is it

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
yes its sleaved and i sent my brother tho verifi that the sleave is not cracked so maybe it has a very fine fracture. and its a dt466 not sure on c or b

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Some guys i talk to keep asking about the "o-rings" we did not se any o-rings around the cylinders.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
they might be talking about the O-rings that go around the sleeve and the only way to see them is to remove the sleeve

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Re sleave it, put new rings in and drive the sunuvabitch another 300,000 miles.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I guess thats the plan, pops ordered gaskets and sleave kit today. So we should have the bases covered, head gasket, o-rings, sleave, piston & rings, and also new water pump. Also he took the head and gasket into the international semi shop and they inspected them and said they were good.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
it also has a bit over 400k right now.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Make sure that oil line going up to the injector rails is in good shape. I would replace it if not sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare