I need some tips and tricks for getting a trans pan gasket to seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
spoke too soon. just walked outside to get in and saw the fresh puddle underneath. Is it really asking that much to get this bastard to seal? And why would it only drip after it was shut off for a while? and not when it was up to temp and running?

When the trans pump is running, it picks up fluid and generally keeps it right at or just barely above the pan level. When parked, the fluid drops into the pan and the level goes above the gasket/pan level.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
A friend of mine took a look under my truck and thinks the leak may be coming from the round cover right above the pan on the passenger side. The 2-3 servo? not sure. need to find out what I'm getting into. what's behind it, and what seals it.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Ok. found a short clip on rebuilding the 700r4 trans. enough to see what I wanted. How common is it for the O-ring on the 2-4 servo cover to leak? If this is where it's dripping from, would I need to mess with removing the servo itself, or am I safe with just removing the cover and installing a new o-ring? And what's the best way to re-install it? Lots of lube and push it in? The clip I found only gave the trick for removal about pulling the old o-ring out and cutting it then pulling the end while working the cover back and forth.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Figured I'd update this. Got the new o-ring for the 2-4 servo cover this week, and got under the truck today. the lock ring on the servo cover was not engaged all the way into it's recess. removed cover, installed new o-ring. No more driveway puddles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes