I learn something every day, but not today....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I'm getting all the indications of the EGR valve sticking, so I decided to just order a new one. This is where the fun started. I have an '85 GMC K2500 with a 350. I've been under the impression that it's a VIN L engine according to everything I've researched. When trying to order a new valve I kept getting all different kinds of part numbers. I decided to locate the ID number on the front of the engine. After scraping, wire brushing, and scour padding the front of that beast, I found the engine has two different things stamped on the plate. V0307FMH and TFF717255. The FMH says it's an '85 Vin L. The TFF says it's an '82 Vin L. I'm going to hold off ordering the part until I get some input from my friends here.

You must be registered for see images attach

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
To me the VO number looks like the original stamping, The TFF looks like a "re stamp" which does not make sense. :shrug:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'm getting all the indications of the EGR valve sticking, so I decided to just order a new one. This is where the fun started. I have an '85 GMC K2500 with a 350. I've been under the impression that it's a VIN L engine according to everything I've researched. When trying to order a new valve I kept getting all different kinds of part numbers. I decided to locate the ID number on the front of the engine. After scraping, wire brushing, and scour padding the front of that beast, I found the engine has two different things stamped on the plate. V0307FMH and TFF717255. The FMH says it's an '85 Vin L. The TFF says it's an '82 Vin L. I'm going to hold off ordering the part until I get some input from my friends here.

Go with the V0307FMH. That's your block suffix code. The second smaller one is the partial vin. The last 6 digits are the sequential serial number that should match your VIN on the truck. The TFF are letters that are in your VIN, but don't read them directly, they're off. They only uses a few digits from the vin, not all so they're not in order. They only used what they needed.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
If you can't figure out which valve is the proper valve, using the block numbers, you can take the old one off, if it happens to be the original or an ACDelco replacement there should be a number stamped into it, that can be crossed into the proper aftermarket unit. IIRC it's stamped in the base. Also I would not sweat the specific part numbers on the EGR valve to much. If the truck is carbureted get one for a carbed truck, if it's TBI get one for a TBI truck. That's the most important thing. I've certainly run into situations on older vehicles, (to be honest mainly 70's and 80's Chryslers trucks and vans) Where there are so many part #'s and the only suggestion is to go off the OE part number printed on the EGR valve, but it's already been replaced with an aftermarket EGR valve. The biggest difference between valves made for the same fuel delivery type is going to be flow rate, which could slightly effect your cruise emissions if you pick the wrong one, but there won't be enough difference to effect runablity.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Thank you Ayden and Rob. I have the GM part number off the EGR and found a WVE brand on Rockauto that lists that part number as compatible. It was the only one I could find in the search that listed the correct part number. I also find it interesting that it's listed as being for California Emissions.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
A few states require Ca standards on the new vehicle sold in state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76