I’m so smart

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Lutz

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Lutz
Truck Model
Engine Size
250 4.1L
Just an update on my brake job: everything is all put back together. Decided I have to wait for my seat to get back from being recovered anyway before I can drive it, so bleeding is on the back burner

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Just an update on my brake job: everything is all put back together. Decided I have to wait for my seat to get back from being recovered anyway before I can drive it, so bleeding is on the back burner
You don't need a seat to bleed the brakes. Can gravity bleed them and it only requires one person.

Disco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 "Big 10"
Engine Size
350 4-bolt
Don't do it, it's a trap! LOL. I was eager to swap to rear disc also, but having seen enough negative threads here on the topic, I am pulling an about face.
I would sooner drive without rear brakes than deal with these drums again...

MikeGs1982

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/350
Well, I spent yesterday replacing the rear brakes on my 82 c10. All 4 of the shoes were the same size… they were tight going on. I called autozone. Said it was the only number in their system for the 11x2’s. The ones I took off were different sizes. They were shrink wrapped and sealed in the box. Have you seen both shoes the same size before???

MikeGs1982

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
305/350
Sorry, I screwed up the posting yesterday while trying to do it on my phone. I had them order another box of brake shoes for my 82 C10. 11 X 2's. This new box also had both shoes as the big ones, meaning fully lined with friction material. We went to RockAuto and looked at many of their options for the 449 part number kit. Some of them show both shoes as the same size, some of them with the small and large ones. Must be a cost savings thing where they only have to make one part number. So, in short, don't be alarmed!!!! Hope this helps one of you out there.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
No. I’m the only person I know who is daft enough to express their love for disco music by embracing it as a nickname. Lol
I grew up with Disco. I like it too

mlsceo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I’ll have to take a picture of my backing plate. This was going to be my next question anyway. I’m pretty sure my drums have no inspection hole in them, and I don’t believe my backing plate does, either. I don’t remember seeing anything that resembles an inspection hole at all, which has been making me wonder how one adjusts the drums.
My 77 doesn't have the inspection holes. You need to remove the drum and adjust the brakes from the outer side. It's just a little at a time until the adjustment is correct then re-install the drum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silverado9019