Hydro boost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Koz

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I'm in the process of changing my '81 shortbox from the Olds diesel and trans to a carbed 350/700-R4. I have concerns about using the hydroboost steering and brakes. Does anyone know if these will work "as is" or do I need to replace them with the standard power steering and pump along with the vacuum brake booster. I have heard different opinions from people as to how good this system is. I don't think the booster pump should care what it is driven by and to the best of my knowledge the hydroboosters work pretty well.

My first post and not real familiar with diesel technology.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I'm in the process of changing my '81 shortbox from the Olds diesel and trans to a carbed 350/700-R4. I have concerns about using the hydroboost steering and brakes. Does anyone know if these will work "as is" or do I need to replace them with the standard power steering and pump along with the vacuum brake booster. I have heard different opinions from people as to how good this system is. I don't think the booster pump should care what it is driven by and to the best of my knowledge the hydroboosters work pretty well.

My first post and not real familiar with diesel technology.

I would not change to the vacuum booster. The hydro boost is a better set up.

I pulled the 6.2 out of mine years ago and im still running the hydro boost.

You can tee the return lines into a regular gas/vacuum booster power steering pump until you get the proper pump housing and pump. That pretty much is the only thing you will need to have a stock factory gas hydro boost set up.

The factory hydro power steering pump is a HD pump. Im not sure if its more pressure or more volume? But there are only 2 different pumps and the hydro requires the HD one. You can get by with the regular one for quite some time though. And the hydro pump housing has 2 individual return lines into the pump housing.

I believe all 1 tons had hydro boost set ups regardless of diesel or gas.

It took me over a year before I found the gas hydro boost pump and housing. It was in a 2wd crew cab gasser. Make sure you take the mounting brackets too.

You can change the pump pulley if necessary but it might be a good idea to grab all the pulleys too when you find the hydro pump and housing.

Just be sure to remember and flush out any used components that you intend to run as you do not want to contaminate your good stuff with bad fluid and contaminants that will contribute to your parts failing.

Koz

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I have all the existing stuff and was just going to bracket up the existing pump. Think there would be any problem with that?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I could not figure out how to do that. But the only thing is that a diesel was expected to run 500-3000 rpm where as a gas will run to 5500rpm.

I cant remember now if the HD pumps are the same or different from gas to diesel. If they are the same then it shouldn't be a problem as long as you can mount it properly. Mine was the round housing with an extension tube going up to a reservoir.

I would try and track down the gas pump and housing from the wreckers or something

I only paid $10 bucks for the one I found.

Koz

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
The one on mine looks exactly the same as the gas one so mounting it shouldn't be a problem. I'm trying to build a nice driver, which it should be, and I was hoping I could retain the hydroboost system. I think you've answered my question.

Thanks for the help.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh you should be good to go. No prob!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The one on mine looks exactly the same as the gas one so mounting it shouldn't be a problem. I'm trying to build a nice driver, which it should be, and I was hoping I could retain the hydroboost system. I think you've answered my question.

Thanks for the help.

The pumps are basically all the same as far as mounting locations, just make sure the shaft is the correct length so the pulley will line up with the other accessories.

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
The pumps are the same. You can braze another hose barb onto any gas application reservoir. The only other difference is the size of the pulley. Gas applications are slightly larger, turning the pump slower so it is about equal at 5000 rpm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17