How to use ohm meter??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have no spark at cylinders. I have power TO distributer wen tested with a light tester I rebuilt the entire hei unit a couple months ago new coil cap rotor ignition module pickup coil .. As far as I no it does not have an esc .. My question is if I have power to my distributer does that mean my ignition switch and lock cylinder are good? Did not test the coil with ohm meter as I don't no how to use it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 66

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What should this be set to for testing coil and distributor power wire.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also forgot to mention it's a 79 k10 with what I believe is an 80s 305 ran great before it died.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
On the coil, Remove and invert the cap, Measure between the tach and BATT terminals , using a DVOM, Set to 200, It should read less than 5 ohm, but more than 000,

Next measure the secondary, set your DVOM scale to 20k.put the probes between the BATT and the carbon pickup for the COIL.it should read between 6000 and 30,000 OHMS.

Last edited:

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks a lot!! I'll do it tomorrow and report back!! Anyone got anything on my ignition switch/ lock cylinder question?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
don't forget to test your leads before taking readings. Touch the 2 together and it should read zero. Just a good practice.

I've seen plenty of instances (including myself) chasing a problem with a meter only to find out the leads or the fuse inside are bad.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
My question is if I have power to my distributer does that mean my ignition switch and lock cylinder are good?

Yes. If you turn the key to the RUN position and can verify at least 10 VDC on the pink wire (connects to the terminal marked B+ on the coil cover) - you're good:

You must be registered for see images attach

That test confirms that:

1. Power is available to the ignition switch from the battery,

2. The lock cylinder is turning - and stroking the ignition switch operating rod

3. The ignition switch contacts are closing properly and allowing power to be supplied to
the pink wire at the ignition switch end

4. The pink wire has continuity all the way from the switch to the coil - and is supplying
the coil with battery voltage.

Other than the 10 volts at the B+ (or maybe BATT) terminal, an HEI distributor requires no other external electrical connections to produce a spark. It is completely self-sufficient.

If you have the required voltage at the B+ terminal, the distributor shaft is properly engaged with the camshaft (i.e. the rotor is spinning) and your external secondary circuit is good (spark plug wires), but you are not getting a spark - that's all you can really do outside the distributor. You need to go back into it and check your work...something was overlooked or improperly assembled in the rebuild process.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like the coil is good if I'm using this meter correctly..how do I check for 10 volts at the b+ ?? Like what do I set this meter at?? I don't no what this stuff means ..dcv?acv?dca? The hei was properly assembled I did it a few months ago and it has been a daily driver since. One cold below 0 morning I went out to start it with no luck sprayed some either in it and somehow blew a fuse ne'er the starter and had nothing at the key. Replaced that now I lack spark. But looks as if I have power at the distributer while testing with s light tester is it enough? I'll let you guys no wen I figure out what to set this meter to... If anyone knows there are pictures of it above.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just checked b+ wire with key in run position with wire tester it has power same with the side labeled tach. This means one of my new parts more than likely went bad like the coil or ignition module??

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Just checked b+ wire with key in run position with wire tester it has power same with the side labeled tach. This means one of my new parts more than likely went bad like the coil or ignition module??

Or you switched up the terminals when you put it together. Start by checking that all is as it should be and that the ground strap is present.

Attachments

• hei.jpg
    hei.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 63

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It's all good I have been driving with this distributer for months everyday I feel like a new parts have gone bad should I just stick a new module and coil in it??

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
It's all good I have been driving with this distributer for months everyday I feel like a new parts have gone bad should I just stick a new module and coil in it??

Check the module first. Your local pats store should be able to test it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Looks like the coil is good if I'm using this meter correctly..how do I check for 10 volts at the b+ ?? Like what do I set this meter at??

I don't no what this stuff means ..dcv?acv?dca?

dcv = direct current voltage (as found in automotive applications)
acv = alternating current voltage (as in household electrical systems)
dca = direct current amperage

Current is simply the term used to describe the movement of electrons within a conductor (a conductor is a wire - for this discussion). And, when there are a series of conductors and devices that are connected together to form one continuous, unbroken loop - that is called a circuit.

If the electrons flowing in a conductor are continuously moving in just one direction - that's called direct current. And as above, if the conductors form a continuous loop - with the electrons flowing around and around in the same direction - that is called a direct current circuit.

In an alternating current circuit, everything's the same as described above for a DC circuit - with one major difference. The electrons flow first in one direction for a certain distance. Then they stop, turn around and begin flowing backwards through the conductor - opposite their original direction. They keep moving backwards until they get to their original starting point. Then they stop, turn around and begin flowing in their original direction.

Being an electron in an AC circuit kind of sucks. They move just as far and do just as much work as the electrons in a DC circuit - but they never get anywhere.

Think of voltage as the water pressure in a garden hose with a hand operated spray nozzle at the end. Even when the nozzle is turned off, there's still pressure in the garden hose.

Even when a light is switched off there's still voltage in the energized portion of the circuit.

Think of current as the flow rate of water in the garden hose - like how many gallons per minute are moving through it. When the nozzle is turned off, there's still pressurized water in the hose, but there's no flow.

When a light is turned off the electrons are still in the wire, but they aren't flowing anywhere -- there's zero current.

The hei was properly assembled I did it a few months ago and it has been a daily driver since. One cold below 0 morning I went out to start it with no luck sprayed some either in it and somehow blew a fuse ne'er the starter and had nothing at the key. Replaced that now I lack spark.

I'd like to hear more about that. I can't imagine how shooting a blast of ether down the carburetor throat could possibly cause a fusible link (located way down by the starter) to fry. Did you have a fire?

But looks as if I have power at the distributer while testing with s light tester is it enough?

It probably is - but you should use your new meter as described above to verify the required 10 volts.

I probably shouldn't say this but, I'm gonna anyway. Money spent to buy good quality tools, is always money well spent. That meter is pretty weak, it lacks even the most basic features. No auto ranging - or an audible continuity setting. I see them at HF for like $5. I mean you don't have to buy Snap-On tools but don't get the cheapest possible tool available. Stuff like that fails so quickly, you'll end up spending more in the long run.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like the coil is good if I'm using this meter correctly..how do I check for 10 volts at the b+ ?? Like what do I set this meter at??

I don't no what this stuff means ..dcv?acv?dca?

dcv = direct current voltage (as found in automotive applications)
acv = alternating current voltage (as in household electrical systems)
dca = direct current amperage

Current is simply the term used to describe the movement of electrons within a conductor (a conductor is a wire - for this discussion). And, when there are a series of conductors and devices that are connected together to form one continuous, unbroken loop - that is called a circuit.

If the electrons flowing in a conductor are continuously moving in just one direction - that's called direct current. And as above, if the conductors form a continuous loop - with the electrons flowing around and around in the same direction - that is called a direct current circuit.

In an alternating current circuit, everything's the same as described above for a DC circuit - with one major difference. The electrons flow first in one direction for a certain distance. Then they stop, turn around and begin flowing backwards through the conductor - opposite their original direction. They keep moving backwards until they get to their original starting point. Then they stop, turn around and begin flowing in their original direction.

Being an electron in an AC circuit kind of sucks. They move just as far and do just as much work as the electrons in a DC circuit - but they never get anywhere.

Think of voltage as the water pressure in a garden hose with a hand operated spray nozzle at the end. Even when the nozzle is turned off, there's still pressure in the garden hose.

Even when a light is switched off there's still voltage in the energized portion of the circuit.

Think of current as the flow rate of water in the garden hose - like how many gallons per minute are moving through it. When the nozzle is turned off, there's still pressurized water in the hose, but there's no flow.

When a light is turned off the electrons are still in the wire, but they aren't flowing anywhere -- there's zero current.

The hei was properly assembled I did it a few months ago and it has been a daily driver since. One cold below 0 morning I went out to start it with no luck sprayed some either in it and somehow blew a fuse ne'er the starter and had nothing at the key. Replaced that now I lack spark.

I'd like to hear more about that. I can't imagine how shooting a blast of ether down the carburetor throat could possibly cause a fusible link (located way down by the starter) to fry. Did you have a fire?

But looks as if I have power at the distributer while testing with s light tester is it enough?

It probably is - but you should use your new meter as described above to verify the required 10 volts.

I probably shouldn't say this but, I'm gonna anyway. Money spent to buy good quality tools, is always money well spent. That meter is pretty weak, it lacks even the most basic features. No auto ranging - or an audible continuity setting. I see them at HF for like $5. I mean you don't have to buy Snap-On tools but don't get the cheapest possible tool available. Stuff like that fails so quickly, you'll end up spending more in the long run.

Well I just changed the ignition module and it fired right up but why would the new one that I put in it two months ago go bad??
As far as the blown fuse goes..I did it have a fire but a month ago I burned a wire on my header and nocked out my headlights ms the inline fuse I replaced the fuse with a diffrent style cause I couldn't find on at the auto parts store that looked like a factory one so wen I went to start it for some reason it popped is this style ok?? I put a 40 use in it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 62

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Fusible links are simply short lengths (less than 9 ") of insulated copper wire. The cross sectional diameter of the copper conductor is sized to overheat and burn/melt when an over-current condition exists in the circuit it protects.

In your truck, the wire gauge (expressed as mm squared) of the two fusible links - down by the starter - are 2 & 1:

Wire size conversion table (mm squared to AWG):

Replacement links are available at any common auto parts store. Here are the two sizes (14 & 16 AWG) used in your truck - as shown at Autozone:

I would remove the in-line fuse and replace it with the proper sized fusible link. First determine which link melted. If you saved your OEM link just check the rating on the load side splice casing:

If that is gone, check the rating of the remaining one and...it's not that one. Another hint is that; the 16 AWG link is immediately split off into two separate leads on the load side:

Butt splices are included with aftermarket replacement links, but they should be avoided. The preferred method of inserting a link is by soldering it inline and insulating the soldered joints with heat shrink tubing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrusher