How to measure your driveshaft correctly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got it all cleaned up and new U joints installed. I'm gonna go by his shop later after the new rear end is in and have him make me a stronger better driveshaft. I just want it back on the road fast as I can.The New transmission yoke will be here tomorrow and I'll put him on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Grumpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
When measuring driveshaft length, I NEVER try to eyeball where the centre of the bore is for the u-joint cap.
The easiest I find is to start by placing the tape at the 2" mark (the tab at the end is supposed to move slightly depending on if it is pulled tight - measure inside - or pushed tight - measure outside) then I measure from the same point on both u-joint cap bores - the point closest to the outer end at one end and the point closest to the inner at the other end.
If changing the length of the driveshaft, I highly recommend the following link:
The amount of slip yoke travel is critical! A little prudence here will prevent unnecessary repairs later.

Remember, as we alter geometries from the factory original, we MUST consider where other changes will occur - just like dropping water in a bucket, there will be ripples.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8