How to lean a Edelbrock 1406?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Y'all have brought up an interesting point about the fuel pump. The old 305 had a return line on the pump when I bought a new one. The truck has a line on it too. The BBC has a new pump but, it doesn't have a return line on it tho. So the line is just not hooked up.

So should I go get a new pump with a return on it? Would that help?

Yes.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
Never heard of valve covers without an oil filler cap. Pics?

Dutch rutter has one on the pass side back by the firewall.

I've always run stock covers. All I see is the PCV breather.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@82sbshortbed and @dsteelejr

82 shortbed is right, I use the rear passenger side breather hole as an oil fill. I pull it out and add through there. Works well but can sometimes make a mess.

I have seen some completely sealed valve covers but I dont think you would want to run those unless you were building super high compression or adding alot of boost or someother reason that I have no idea about.

I do like this covers but the best thing I ever bought was these cover gaskets.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...l-Core-Valve-Cover-Gaskets-Pre-1986,1872.html

Off-topic confession: I do wish that I would have gone with a 383 or found a 454 to build up but the .30 over 350 does well for what I need.

Last edited:

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 454
@82sbshortbed and @dsteelejr

82 shortbed is right, I use the rear passenger side breather hole as an oil fill. I pull it out and add through there. Works well but can sometimes make a mess.

I have seen some completely sealed valve covers but I dont think you would want to run those unless you were building super high compression or adding alot of boost or someother reason that I have no idea about.

I do like this covers but the best thing I ever bought was these cover gaskets.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...l-Core-Valve-Cover-Gaskets-Pre-1986,1872.html

Off-topic confession: I do wish that I would have gone with a 383 or found a 454 to build up but the .30 over 350 does well for what I need.

After reading that I broke down and bought the covers. I'm normally not into engine dress up, but I thought these looked sharp. Wa going paint the engine orange, but after bringing home the reman I found that the engine shop already painted it black, so rather than fighting it I'm just roll gonna with black. Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 454
@82sbshortbed, wondering if you made any headway on getting that Edelbrock tuned up.

The other day I was thinking about this thread and I touched on the first step, which is getting the fuel pressure correct, but neglected tuning it afterwards.

Here’s a quick vid on getting Edelbrocks tuned. I follow this guy on YT. He’s a Mopar fan and he loves cars, not so much trucks, but he is old school and has a lot of great advice and how to’s that apply to our old school trucks.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Bringing this back up with a question......

I am looking into putting in a return style regulator. I have a two port mechanical pump, in/out. What is the best/easiest way to plumb in a return line?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bringing this back up with a question......

I am looking into putting in a return style regulator. I have a two port mechanical pump, in/out. What is the best/easiest way to plumb in a return line?

Easiest would probably be to go to a single out port fuel pump and plumb the return line from the regulator to the return line that currently goes from the pump.

Edit: Just re-read your post and saw that your pump is a return-less style not the return style I thought I read it was.... my bad.. You'll be in the boat of running a return line all the way back to the tank.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
I read somewhere that someone spoke to Edelbrock tech support. In that conversation he said 2-5 psi fuel pressure. I never got to try it on mine as I ended up installing a Demon carb.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Easiest would probably be to go to a single out port fuel pump and plumb the return line from the regulator to the return line that currently goes from the pump.

Edit: Just re-read your post and saw that your pump is a return-less style not the return style I thought I read it was.... my bad.. You'll be in the boat of running a return line all the way back to the tank.

Is there a way to tie the return line into the selector valve? Or just the main tank?

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there a way to tie the return line into the selector valve? Or just the main tank?

I have not heard of a way to route it to the selector valve (I could be wrong here) but I believe most go right to the sender on the tank. Which i would also think might require changing depending if yours have the port for a return or not.

Also edelbrock says they have a max of 6.5psi I have mine set to 4.8-5 they tend to get a little finicky over 5.

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I have not heard of a way to route it to the selector valve (I could be wrong here) but I believe most go right to the sender on the tank. Which i would also think might require changing depending if yours have the port for a return or not.

Also edelbrock says they have a max of 6.5psi I have mine set to 4.8-5 they tend to get a little finicky over 5.

Thanks for the info. I have dual tanks p, so I will have to do some more thinking about b doing a return.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info. I have dual tanks p, so I will have to do some more thinking about b doing a return.

Tbh I'm not very familiar with the fuel lines on our trucks from the selector back. There might be a return line there somewhere. The pump on my 83 with dual tanks is a 3 port type. And I used a regulator with a return but just plugged it off there. 2 years now its been working fine that way.

(Knock on wood)

Moose Drool

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Tbh I'm not very familiar with the fuel lines on our trucks from the selector back. There might be a return line there somewhere. The pump on my 83 with dual tanks is a 3 port type. And I used a regulator with a return but just plugged it off there. 2 years now its been working fine that way.

(Knock on wood)

What pump are you running? That might be the best/easiest way to go.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Moose Drool

It's just an over the counter kind from NAPA. Nothing fancy.

Edit: if going that route you'd still have to run a line from the pump back. Would be cheaper to get a regulator with the return, keep the 2 port pump you have, and run the line all the way. Instead of buying the regulator, 3 port pump and then running the line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cbass91120